cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Get File Help

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to use FTP Get File to get an image from my NI1772C Smart Camera, but I can't get it to work. I think the problem is I don't really understand what I should put in the local path and remote path boxes. The image is being saved in the root directory (c:\), and the image name is Arcing.bmp, and I am trying to save it to my dev PC in the C:\FTP Share folder. So, can someone tell me EXACTLY what I need to put in the remote path and local path boxes? I have tried a trillion combinations and nothing works.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,195 Views)

Tell you what, pick out one or two of those trillion combinations and tell us what you did and the errors that you got.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,181 Views)

What file structure do you see if you use a standalone ftp client to connect to the camera?

What is your local OS?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,174 Views)

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for the reply. I used C:\Arcing.bmp as the remote path and C:\FTP Share\Arcing.bmp as the local path and got the 'file not found' error (code 15550 I think)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,156 Views)

What is the embedded OS on the camera. Is it really windows?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,142 Views)

I don't know, it doesn't say. I have no problem getting the files off of it in other ways, such as with FilleZilla, or just through the cmd console.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,130 Views)
Solution
Accepted by mprevodnik

@mprevodnik wrote:

I don't know, it doesn't say. I have no problem getting the files off of it in other ways, such as with FilleZilla, or just through the cmd console.

It's very unlikely to be Windows, so don't expect C:\arcimg.bmp to work!!!!! FTP normally works with Unix file paths with a common root of / and it's very unlikely that the camera would dump all the images into the root directory. So you will have to find out the file structure of your camera and request a path that exists.

FTP also knows the LS command which lists the content of a directory. And PWD to return the Current Working Directory. Use CD to go to the next level! With these three you should be able to figure out what is the directory structure on your camera.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,114 Views)

I'm saving the images there with another VI ImaqWriteFile 2 and I used Windows style file paths, and it works perfectly, so that isn't the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,110 Views)

@mprevodnik wrote:

I'm saving the images there with another VI ImaqWriteFile 2 and I used Windows style file paths, and it works perfectly, so that isn't the issue.

ImaqWriteFile does not use FTP. It only can access locally mounted files. Your camera uses internally the Pharlap ETS system which uses Windows compatible paths. But FTP has a different path syntax and you have to follow that.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,102 Views)

So what is the FTP syntax? I am so confused right now...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,096 Views)