LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTDI with Labview

With all the drivers installed, hook up a FT2232 Mini Module, goto Labview Measurement and Automation Explorer, goto My System\Devices and Interfaces\Serial and Parallel, Com 4 and Com 5 show up, all is well.  Disconnect the Mini Module and shut down

Labview Measurement and Automation Explorer.

Disconnect the FT2232 Mini Module and connect our homebrew board with a FT2232HQ chip, same as on the Mini Module, to the USB port, goto Labview Measurement and Automation Explorer, goto My System\Devices and Interfaces\Serial and Parallel, Com 4 shoes up with the yellow exclamation mark over the icon.  In the General Tab under device status

Max could not open a VISA session to this static device.  The device was not returned from VISA when finding resources, but MAX was able to use VISA to parse the resource name.

Do we need to enhance our hombrew board to be recognized by Labview Measurement and Automation Explorer?

Using a VB 6.0 program we authored, we can talk to each board successfully.  The homebrew board will accept commands, illuminate onboard LEDs successfully and return a status message when requested.

Message 1 of 8
(4,030 Views)

Hi,

I use a lot of FTDI modules. Always works fine.

Do you have the latest driver ?

Are the serial number programmed into the chip different ?

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,024 Views)

Drivers were downloaded from FTDI on Tuesday and installed on a computer that had not had any FTDI files previously installed, a fresh start. 

Are the serial number programmed into the chip different?  Could you educate me on this a bit?

I was leaning towards our homebrew board since the hardware and firmware on it is our own design and we are new to FTDI, our first application, and we may not know all the nuisances of the chip or USB.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,013 Views)

Hi,

You can program your chip with the programming utility from FTDI.

You can program your own ID into it. That way it will use the same port numbers.

But in your case it is e new system so it must be something else.

Still find this utility (here) to see if this can connect correctly.

Also check if your device shows up normally in your hardware list (if you use Windows)

An exclamation mark in MAX usually tells you that the settings in windows is different from the settings in MAX but that should not be a problem if you set everything in your program.

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,995 Views)

Hi KC, im working with FT245 a converter Paralell-usb chip, i saw an example in ftdi page, but it doesnt work well, i can do the communication but i have a sinch problem, do you  have any idea??

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,930 Views)

Hi,

I am sorry but I never used the FT245.

What is a 'Sinch' problem ??

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,902 Views)

Hello,

In our situation I was sending HEX instead of Decimal characters as the message.  Also when generating the CRC, since there are a multitude, use the correct one and check if the CRC calc is done using ASCII or HEX.  The link below is an on;ine CRC cals that conputes it 10 different ways.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,890 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,889 Views)