LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTDI With FPGA using labVIEW

Hi,
    I am have got FT245 RL and i need to get the data tranmitted from an FPGA.The data is going to be an 8 bit data.I am doing the conversion using FPGA itself.I now want to read the data from the FPGA.I am new to FTDI and i am struck.Can some one please help me out?Aslo please tell me as to which 2 pins should i short to check the loopback .

HELP!!!

Message Edited by muks on 03-10-2008 08:08 AM
Message 1 of 8
(7,063 Views)
I am not familiar with a FT245 RL can you please clarify what that is and an overview of how it works? It would also very very helpful if you can give me more details about your application and what you are trying to do
Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,962 Views)
FTDI is an usb controller chip. I am in the process of developing an USB camera.
Message 3 of 8
(6,918 Views)
What is the communication protocol between the FPGA and the usb Controller, is it a USB standard? Please refer to www.ni.com/ipnet This is a collection of pre-made FPGA functions for different applications. You may be able to find some source code you could implemet there.
Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,823 Views)
hi,

I have a little problem, maybe someone can help me.
I want to communicate between FPGA and USB using Labview 8.2.
I'm using ALTERA Cyclone II FPGA and FT245BL USB from FTDI and I tried to test the write-read routine (labview example) from FTDI website (see the link below):

http://www.ftdichip.com/Projects/CodeExamples/LabVIEW.htm  

The write function is working (the bytes are written in the paralel port).The function FT_GetQueueStatus returns a parameter Bytes Waiting which is zero, so this means there are no bytes to read from FTDI device.My question is:
Is there any protocol already implemented in Labiew and a website from where I can download it to do the communication between FPGA and USB?

I have the VHDL code downloaded from ALTERA website and I installed all the required drivers related to my FTDI device model. The drivers were downloaded from the www.ftdichip.com website and also the
D2XX _functions_7.0 for Labview.

Regards,
Leo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,310 Views)
Had the same problem.I checked the FTDI seperately like made a daughter card and used a FPGA starter kit.The communication was proper.So i concluded that the problem was on the bus.

What you can do first is download the virtual comm port driver.This will enable you to check the communication via hyper terminal and also you can use visa serial port communication readily available in labVIEW.Can you send me the VHDL code so that i can let you know If there is any need for modification

Regards,
Muks
Message 6 of 8
(6,303 Views)
This is the VHDL code downloded from ALTERA website.

Regards,
Leo
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,294 Views)

hi, im working with ft245BL and MAXII, im starting with the comunication USB but i dont know how works the protocol, do you have some example in VHDL ???

I want to send a chain of 8 bits with USB 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,275 Views)