LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA Compile error: temporary directory cannot be removed

I'd say 9 out of 10 times I try to compile, I get a message like this:

ERROR:coreutil - Temporary directory
   (C:\NIFPGA80\srvrTmp\localhost\DemoCore_3MFPGATa~29_DemoSyst~AB_g20bL6Ym~40\t
   mp\_cg\core_prim_eq_0146eqsigned32_c_compare_v8_0_xst_1_xsd) created for XST
   synthesis cannot be removed

I try shutting down and restarting labview and trying again, I try rebooting, I try deleting the temp files in the clnttmp and srvrtmp/localhost directories, but I can't find any repeatable pattern to make it work. Eventually though, it just works... no changes to my code or anything.

The messages take up to 5+ minutes before they appear. If they don't appear it takes 30++ minutes to compile. I'd like to be able to start a compile and head to lunch, but I can't because it keeps failing over and over again.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,193 Views)

Hi!

How do you set the access-rights on this file and the nifpga8.0 folder?

Maybe there is a additional programm bocking you?

Regards Christian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,167 Views)
Using SysInternals File Monitor, I just tracked the problem down to a NOT EMPTY error during the delete operation. Shortly after (instantly according to the user, about 20 lines in File Monitor), the delete attempt is reattempted successfully. The only relevant thing that changed between those lines is Diskeeper closed a handle to a child directory of the directory being deleted.

I tried setting an ignore filiter on the srvrtmp directory in diskeeper but it seems to have ignored that request. I just updated my copy to the latest build (same version, new build) and the same problem occurred.

Then I stopped the Diskeeper service. I got the same message again, only time there's nothing concerning the directory or the parent between the failed delete and the successful delete though. The message in File Monitor shows as the same NOT EMPTY, then SUCCESS right afterwards.

It not always the directory I posted either. However, it is always some directory under C:\NIFPGA80\srvrTmp\localhost\DemoCore_3MFPGATa~29_DemoSyst~AB_g20bL6Ym~40\tmp\_cg\

In the last case that occurred, this was the error message:

ERROR:coreutil - Temporary directory
   (C:\NIFPGA80\srvrTmp\localhost\DemoCore_3MFPGATa~29_DemoSyst~AB_g20bL6Ym~40\t
   mp\_cg\_bbx) created for synthesis cannot be removed

And this is the directory that returned NOT EMPTY:

11:52:20 AM    _cg.exe:1588    DELETE     C:\NIFPGA80\srvrTmp\localhost\DemoCore_3MFPGATa~29_DemoSyst~AB_g20bL6Ym~40\tmp\_cg\_bbx\c_compare_v8_0    NOT EMPTY        

Message Edited by 280Z28 on 08-21-2006 12:59 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,152 Views)
280Z28,

This seems a bit odd.  Are you using a normal hard drive? Have you defragged lately? Using RAID at all?  Are complete read/write priveleges granted on the C:\NIFPGA80 directory and its decendent directories?

Do you have ANY antivirus/antispyware/firewall utilities running? If so, try turning them off completely and see if that makes a difference. If all else fails, you may want to uninstall the FPGA module, delete that upper level directory completely, and reinstall.

Best Regards,

Message Edited by Doug M on 08-21-2006 06:38 PM

Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
For those unfamiliar with NBC's The Office, my icon is NOT a picture of me 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,131 Views)

Do you have Google Desktop?  I have seen some machines have problems with deleting directories when they have Google Desktop?

Regards,

Joseph D.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,095 Views)
I don't have Google Desktop, but that's an interesting tidbit since I do have Windows Search as part of the Office 2007 Suite, which serves a somewhat similar purpose.

I've tried a few things, and had various successes, but haven't been able to find a conclusive solution that works every time. My R-Series card arrived in the mail today. I'll let y'all know what I figure out once I get to try things out with a real board installed.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,093 Views)
Status update:

With Windows Defender, Diskeeper, and Windows Search disabled, and NOD32 still enabled, it's been working all day yesterday and this morning. Windows Search seems to have made the difference. I'll try again later with Defender and Diskeeper enabled and try to see if I can narrow it down to just one thing.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,027 Views)

Thank you for your continued trouble shooting.  Hopefully we can narrow it down and be able to create some document orknowledgebase to help others in the FPGA community.

Thanks,

Joseph D.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,945 Views)
I've had Windows Defender and Diskeeper enabled since yesterday and still working fine. Looks like we got it 🙂
Message 9 of 9
(6,941 Views)