cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FP.Close invoke node doesn't close Front Panel on Error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

So I searched the forums and Labview documentation on this but couldn't find anything.

I have made a program that waits for a specified folder to arrive via FTP. Once the folder and contained files arrive, the main program activates and, once done, closes the Front Panel with the usual Invoke node method.

However, if the files never arrive (I've implemented a timeout) or if the files are not of the expected format, the Recursive File List.vi puts out an error 7 or the Read from Text File an error 4, respectively. So far so good. 

When these errors occur, however, the FP.Close method does not work. The program stays stuck and stopped. Since I found nothing on the subject, I suppose that this is its intended use, but how can I overcome this? Should I just clear all errors? I have no real need for error handling, I just want it to quit, even on error.

Thank you a lot,

Dimitris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,646 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mpliax

Hi mpliax,

when there is an error fed into a property node it will not change any properties.

So you need to clear errors before calling property nodes connected to this error wire!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 9
(3,640 Views)

Thanks a lot! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,635 Views)

hi mpliax!

please add some exemplary code, so we don't have to guess.

<edit> hehe .. so slooooow</edit>

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
Message 4 of 9
(3,633 Views)

Here's a kudo for you, for trying ^-^

Message 5 of 9
(3,597 Views)

back at you for being so kind

:cheers:

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,569 Views)

Remember that you can also just bypass the error input of the FP Close node if you want to keep the errors for handling, and merge its error out after.  Just remember you need to make sure the FP.Close fires at the right time using a method of execution order enforcement.

Error Bypass.png

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
Message 7 of 9
(3,556 Views)

Now this is the info I was looking for in the first place. Strange how I found nothing before today. Maybe I didn't search well enough.

The second method is the one I implemented, even though the first one was more ingenious.

@Mythilt wrote:

Remember that you can also just bypass the error input of the FP Close node if you want to keep the errors for handling, and merge its error out after.  Just remember you need to make sure the FP.Close fires at the right time using a method of execution order enforcement.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,549 Views)

I customized "Clear Errors" to have a small icon.

cesm.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 9 of 9
(3,532 Views)