LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFT Limit testing

Any idea how I can add a limit curve on an FFT plot? The limit I want to use is as follow:

• constant value of 80 dBuA(rms) between 1000 Hz and 10KHz
  • a linear ramp down to 40 dBuA(rms) between 10KHz and 100KHz
  • constant value of 40 dBuA(rms) between 100KHz and 50MHz

The linear ramp is obviously the tricky part!

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,054 Views)

I found a way to do it but I will not mark it as an accepted solution yet. I have a strong feeling that there must be a better way to do it.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,027 Views)

Hi Ben,

I have a strong feeling that there must be a better way to do it.

Well, in the end it should be just (rather) simple math involving some logarithmic functions… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,009 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Well, in the end it should be just (rather) simple math involving some logarithmic functions… 😄

Not so simple, the math part might be easy but how to create the limit and integrate it with the limit testing vi is not trivial. You need to define the limit values for the frequencies f0 + n*df of the resulting FFT.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,998 Views)

Are you sure you aren't over-thinking this?  Or maybe I'm under-comprehending...

Why can't limit testing be handled with a lookup table that interpolates between the small # of corner points?   If needed, you can do log-weighted intepolation.  Or you could go ahead and precompute the entire "curve" once you know what dF spacing is needed.

So what am I not following?

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,984 Views)