cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executing VI's using LabVIEW run-time

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Ppl,

Is it possible to use the LabVIEW run time engine to execute VI's. If so how do I invoke the runtime engine. Are there any active x servers available fro the runtime engine ?

Thanks,

Sathish

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,429 Views)
You can't call the LV runtime directly. But you can create an executable from a VI that calls another VI dynamically. Your called VI must be created in exactly the same version of LV as your calling executable, you have to adjust all paths carefully in the INI file and provide the complete VI hierarchy that your called VI uses including vi.lib . Then you should be able to run your VI from that executable. I did it several times and it works fine for me.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,413 Views)

I have seen the TestStand deployments executing VI's using the LabVIEW runtime engine. Which means that you can execute the VI's using LabVIEW run time engine. So I'm curious to know how TestStand Implements this function. My guess is TestStand calls the run-time engine active x server to execute the VI's.

Thanks,
Sathish

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,408 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lordsathish

Hello Sathish,

There is no kind of COM wrappers offcially announced by NI for LVRTE, I have searched how the test stand have implemented that and found a documentation regarding this in  "TestStand 4.2.1\Components\RuntimeServers\LabVIEW\readme.txt". They told some procedures to register the Run Time engine, may be this could give some idea  and I am not sure about how it could help you in your progress.

AshwiN,

Message 4 of 5
(6,386 Views)

Hi Ppl,

This is how I was able to do it. 

1. TestStand Directory contained a Runtime Server directory: National Instruments\TestStand 4.2.1\Components\RuntimeServers
  2. Use the read me file in that directory to build a TestStandLVRTS.exe from the build script
  3. Run the exe with the command line argument as /RegServer. The TestStandLVRTS activex server will be registered
  4. You can use this activex server to run VI's from other languages like C#
Thanks,
Sathish

Message 5 of 5
(6,375 Views)