LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Execute library call on remote computer

Hi all,

Is it possible to have a Library Function call to be executed on a remote machine ?

I have a PC in my lab that is connected (via USB) to some measuring device which comes with a DLL. Now I would like to run a VI (on another PC, eg. in my office), that calls functions from that DLL that communicate with the device. Therefore, the DLL-function call has to execute on the lab-PC, not on the PC where the VI runs (my office PC).

Is this possible, and how would I do it ? Thanks for any advice

Best regards, DeSa

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,540 Views)

De_Sa,

You can use VI server to open a VI reference on your Lab PC. You can then run the VI on that machine, which would house your DLL. Please let me know if I need to elaborate.

Regards,

Prashanth N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,533 Views)

Hi Pachi,

sounds interesting. Unfortunately my remote machine has no LabVIEW (only the VISA server is running) and I only have the Base Development System.Or did I misunderstand you ??

Best regards,

DeSa

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,531 Views)

Desa,

In that case there are alternatives, You don't necesaarily have LabVIEW on your target.

It is sufficient to have LV Runtime on it. You could deploy your application on it.

Regards,

Prashanth N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,528 Views)

I'm relative new to LabVIEW and have never deployed a VI. Do I use the Web Publishing tool, or is there a good Tutorial on how to deploy the vi ?

Thanks, DeSa

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,523 Views)

DeSa,

You could use the Application Builder to build a *.exe application. You can then run this exe on your target.

However, you might need LabVIEW Runtime on your target to execute it.

Regards,

Prashanth N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,521 Views)

Unfortunately I don't have a license to use the application builder... Are there other options ?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,519 Views)

This should help you out

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3303

Regards,

Prashanth N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,518 Views)

You could try to call the DLL directly from the target without using LabVIEW. If you use LabVIEW, you will need one of these two options to distribute it,

Prashanth N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,516 Views)