cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executables

Solved!
Go to solution

A few questions regarding executables:

I have LV2011 and followed the tutorial on using Project to create exe and install files.  The source code works ( talks over serial) on my machine as does the exe.  When I port the installation and the exe file to another laptop the code runs ( no errors and I can call each subvi) but it appears it isn't talking over the serial port.  I used telnet on the ported machine to make sure its not the test equip and telnet works.   So port number and settings are correct.

I have a main vi w buttons that call sub vis.

Also, the vis front panel on the ported machine are skewed off screen and some of the front panel label ( decorations) words are split as if there was a cr. 

One subvi is larger than the screen.  Both the developement pc and port pc are the same.

Are there settings I should be checking to make sure one ports to another even though both machine "appear" to be the same??

All I want is for the user to click the exe file then be able to select the menu buttons in my main vi.  No run button, no stop to be button etc. 

What do I want for:

VI Properties>Window Size??

VI Properties>Window Run Time position??  "centered" "primary" "use current panel size"??

If I select "run when opened and close afterwards..."  If I need to edit the vi how do you get to the block diagram if you've selected not to show the menu buttons??  Do you make 2 copies of the vis?  One w the menu buttons and one w/o??

I know this is going hard w/o seeing the code but I can't post that due to proprietary reasons.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,305 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MarkDavid

Did you install NI-VISA on the target machine? That's the API that LabVIEW uses to talk to serial ports. You can configure an installer to install your application and NI-VISA, as well as the LabVIEW Run-Time, or you can install them individually.

EDIT: Accidentally clicked Post before finishing. Twitchy fingers.

As for the rest of your questions: Have you checked to make sure the resolutions of the screens are the same? What do you mean that the decorations are "split". Can you at least post a screenshot of the front panel? Does this happen with just this VI, or any VI?

As for your questions regarding window size, run-time position, etc... well, that depends entirely on you. What do you want the window size to be? Where do you want the window to appear? There's no "right" answer to this.

I don't understand your last question. Once you create the exe you can't edit the block diagram, so I don't understand what you're trying to do with this on the target machine.

Message 2 of 4
(2,288 Views)

When I was looking in the Discussions Grp I searched under "Executables" when I should have searched "Visa/executables".  After the post I found that others had the same prob I did because they didn't install MAX and Visa.  I'm doing that now...3 hours to download!!!

When I say the decorations are split I meant I have text on my front panel that says something like "Preventative Maintenance".  Its displayed fine on my machine.  The target shows... Prevent

ative Maintenance."....2 separate lines.

Ill check screen resolution.  Thats the kind of suggestion I was looking for.

I think...think... I've resolved the other issues.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,278 Views)

Another thing to check is the OS. For example, is the target machine running Windows 7 while you are running Windows XP? There are known issue with fonts being displayed larger in Windows 7. Search the forum and you will see this question has come up a lot, along with the suggestion of explicitly setting the fonts to Tahoma. You can do this in the LabVIEW preferences, which sets keys in the LabVIEW.ini file:

appFont="Tahoma" 13
dialogFont="Tahoma" 13
systemFont="Tahoma" 13

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,275 Views)