LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable & Installer Problem

Hello.  I have created an executable and bundled it into an installer so the software can be used on other computers.  When the installer is run it gives an error message about a missing initialization file.  I can see the ini file in the installer list before the build, so I'm not sure why this message appears.  When I send the ini file along with the installer file for installation, running the installer gives a new error saying it can't find a dll.  Any pointers?  Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(996 Views)

Are you using the Application Builder to make the installer?  I've not seen an error like that, can you share a screenshot?  What version of LabVIEW and what OS are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(953 Views)

Hooovahh,

Thanks for your reply.  I am using the LabView 2021 application builder.  It is running on Windows 10 Home edition.  When I try to run the executable on a computer (Windows 11) if gives the error message

GUI Install Error Message 01.jpg

.  A copy of the error message is attached.  Thanks for taking a look.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(898 Views)

Well LabVIEW 2021 actually supported officially on Windows 11.  I wouldn't expect it to have any problem, and in fact I've got a couple LabVIEW applications on Windows 11 from LabVIEW 2020.  But it is possible there is some dependent tool that your version of 11 doesn't have that it needs.  NI would have to chime in, so you might need to contact them for support.  

You could start with a very simple application and see if it works, then start adding things until you get to what you actually want.  Sorry I don't have any other suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(891 Views)

What do you see if you click on the "details ..." Button?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(884 Views)

@BeeEyeBye wrote:

Hello.  I have created an executable and bundled it into an installer so the software can be used on other computers.  When the installer is run it gives an error message about a missing initialization file.  I can see the ini file in the installer list before the build, so I'm not sure why this message appears.  When I send the ini file along with the installer file for installation, running the installer gives a new error saying it can't find a dll.  Any pointers?  Thanks for any help.

So what exactly is an "installer file"? A build installer is of course a large set of files and folders. Are you sure you keep everything together? Are you trying to run install.exe inside a zip file or do you unzip first?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(879 Views)

Thanks.  I'll try that.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(856 Views)

'Installer file' is what I call the executable that results from using the application builder 'installer' utility.  The application builder adds a lot of important files on its own.  I add the application which includes the exe, aliases and the ini.  If there's something else that I need to add please let me know.

When the resulting executable is run it complains unless I drop the ini file in (again) into the same directory.  Even then it gives an error message and quits.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  Nope, not running it inside a zip.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(852 Views)