From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel stopped working

In my labview program, I open, edit, and close multiple excel sheet one at a time.  It used to work, but I am getting a -41106 error.  It said that the possible reason is "Report Generation Toolkit: Microsoft Word or Excel did not open.  Make sure Microsoft Word or Excel is installed".  I am not what happened.  MS office is definitely installed in my laptop.  The error happens in the node when I tried to open the excel workbook.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
Message 1 of 6
(3,211 Views)

Try running the example "ActiveX Event Callback foe Excel" shipped with Labview.

Does Excel open?

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,190 Views)

I had to put excel open in loop and keep trying.  It will open within 5 tries.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,168 Views)

Maybe Excel is taking too much time to start (just guessing)...

If Excel is already running does your original program run? Or do you still get error -41106?

Regards,

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,153 Views)

I faced this issue several times when Excel instance doesn't close even after closing it with RGT Close VIs.

When I face this issue, I check if Excel.exe is open in Windows Task Manager and manually close it.

There is also a taskkill command to force kill the Excel.exe using sysexec.

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,144 Views)

I am not sure if this is related to your problem or not; When I was using an older, slower laptop, I found that it helped greatly if I selected the "visible - false" property on Excel open, so that Excel did not show on the screen. Not having to do the extra work of the video updates for multiple Excel spreadsheets to show on the screen seemed to allow everything to work ok.

For what it may be worth, hope it is of some help to you, Good luck,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,117 Views)