From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when trying to build executable

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm getting an error when I'm trying to turn my currecnt VI into an exe. I've tried using my setting I wanted, and just using the base settings. I keep getting the same build error, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm attaching an snippet of the error message I am getting.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,294 Views)

Did you try manually copying the file from the listed source location to the listed destination location?  It could be a permissions issue of some kind, and trying it manually could give you a more helpful error message.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,288 Views)

I did try that but one weird thing I noticed, is that it always tries to add an extra data file, so if I just use the desktop as the destination it will go to desktop\data, but that folder doesn't exist. If I make a data folder it will go to desktop\data\data, and so on.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,284 Views)

You could try going to the "Destinations" page of the build options and setting the location for the EXE and its support directory to be the same directory (i.e. both your desktop).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,280 Views)

Ok destinations was desktop/data, so that explains that one. I have them both set to just the desktop, copied the dll onto the desktop as well. When I went to build it this time, I got the same error and the dll was deleted from the desktop.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,270 Views)
Solution
Accepted by randomguy77

I also notice that the path to the DLL starts with a bunch of "..\..\..\..", which means it's stored as a relative path and not a fixed path.  Can you find the VIs that reference it and check the path to see if you can make it fixed instead?  Is this a classic DLL or a .NET DLL?

Message 6 of 11
(3,248 Views)

It is a 3rd party DLL, so I can't say for sure, but I would imagine it is just a classic one.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,246 Views)

If you could open the VI(s) that reference this DLL, you can see whether the calls look like property nodes (.NET) or ugly lumps of data types with a tiny picture of an orange bookshelf on top (classic DLL).  

If it's a classic DLL you can right-click and configure it to point to the DLL location in a more proper manner and see if that helps anything.  You'd have to do it for all instances of the DLL use though.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,242 Views)

I didn't know that. It is a classic DLL then.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,239 Views)

hi. 

Is there any update with the executable issue?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,196 Views)