LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 8 occurred when building an executable due to file permission error?

I received this error on executable builds from two different .vis.  Other .vis in the project build without incident and the message below doesn't seem to indicate the file that is causing the problem, unless it is the SPT-errors.txt file listed at the end of the error message.

Visit the Request Support page at ni.com/ask to learn more about resolving this problem. Use the following information as a reference:
Error 8 occurred at Copy in AB_Engine_Copy_Error_Files.vi->AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Error_Files.vi->AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Engine_Build.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller
Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  File permission error. You do not have the correct permissions for the file.
=========================
NI-488:  DMA hardware error detected.
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\project\errors\Japanese\SPT-errors.txt
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(6,657 Views)
Also check permissions on the directory you are writing to.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(6,640 Views)
It could be that you have the executable open and running.
There are tools on the net that will tell which process is locking up a file/folder

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(6,633 Views)
It turns out the problem must be with the SPT-errors.txt file because if I turn off the copy error codes option in the application builder options, the executable builds without error.  I checked the file permissions on the SPT-errors.txt and it is not read-only, so I am still not sure why that would be the problem.

Could this be some kind of bug in LABView?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(6,619 Views)

Hi DanielAllis,

Thanks for contacting National Instruments.  The most often cause of that error is that you may have that file open in some other application and are trying to access it in multiple locations.  I have attached a link below that is to one of our public Knowledgebase articles that talks about this error.  Please take a look at this and let me know what you find if you still have problems.  Thanks!

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F5D5F6798A9367CC86256F6C007A968D?OpenDocument

Regards

Noah R
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(6,603 Views)

Noah,

In case you check back, how would I know if LabVIEW is accessing the japanese SPT-errors.txt file while I am building my application?  Please note, this problem occurs when BUILDING the application from the Project Explorer.  At the time I build, I am not running anything else (not even other windows applications).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(6,598 Views)

Hi DanielAllis,

Like mentioned earlier, there is most likely an application on the internet that you can find and use where you can see what processes are calling specific files or folders to see if that specific file is being used by anything else.  It doesn't sound like this is the root of your problem, but it couldn't hurt to check.  Also, I have seen a similar problem to this with someone who was using the software Subversion and Tortoise with their application.  I am not familiar with this software in particular, but I have attached a link below that goes through the steps that this other person took to try and fix the same error when having this software on their computer.  Let me know if any of this helps!

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=172537&query.id=115461#M172537

Regards

Noah R
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(6,569 Views)

I am not running either of those programs.

The error message clearly states that the problem is that the application builder cannot access the NI Signal Processing Toolkit Error Code Definition file (SPT-errors.txt) which is not being used by any other application that I can find.

I have tried a few things and found this problem to be more extensive than I thought.  If I change the supported run-time languages in the build properties to only English and enable the copy error codes option, I get the same error, but with the "Internet Toolkit-errors.txt" file under the ..\LabVIEW 8.5\project\errors\ folder.  The root cause of my problems seems to be the copy error codes option in the application builder cannot get access to these files, or at least it thinks that to be the case.  Is it possible there was some corruption to my ..\LabVIEW 8.5\project\errors\ folder?  This project was originally created by LabVIEW 8.2.1.  Could the conversion have done something to cause this problem?  Should I try creating a new project and re-creating my currnet build options?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(6,561 Views)
It is possible that there could be some kind of corruption that occured in one of the files, and you could try to repair the LabVIEW install in Add/Remove Programs under your control panel to see if that could possibly fix the problem.  Also, trying to recreate the problem from scratch by manually adding the necessary VI's in LabVIEW 8.5 would be a good troubleshooting step to see if everything is linked to the proper location.
Regards

Noah R
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(6,556 Views)
From Noah:
It is possible that there could be some kind of corruption that occured in one of the files, and you could try to repair the LabVIEW install in Add/Remove Programs under your control panel to see if that could possibly fix the problem.

Response:
I will try a repair on the LabVIEW 8.5 install as there is no way I can think of to isolate just the error definition files

From Noah:
Also, trying to recreate the problem from scratch by manually adding the necessary VI's in LabVIEW 8.5 would be a good troubleshooting step to see if everything is linked to the proper location.

Response:
I had already re-linked all of the files in the project immediately following the conversion from 8.2.1 to 8.5, but I will try creating a new project from scrath to see if that helps.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(6,552 Views)