From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 7 occurred at Open File+.vi: Open File.

Dear group members - as I am trying to learn labview I am running into this poblem which seems to have been posted often in other posts but I don't understand the resolution they posted in threads.

Error 7 occurred at Open File+.vi: Open File.
Possible reasons:
LABVIW: file not found. Or
NI-488: non-existent board.

For an exe in 7.0 we have it was working fine on a lab machine - we moved files to new machine and everything worked - then two weeks later we get this error all the time.  Early on we would occasionally get this error but often your could hit write within the program and then run and the program would work.  The was not newly compiled - this is a working exe.

Thought about board but we can verify the board to work with other programs in 7.0

If a file s missing how can we figure out what file is missing if we do not have the VI - just the exe - I cannot remember how I did this but I was able to see the sub-vi's when I was working with 7.0 within the .exe.

Is it possible we are using the wrong .dll files which are of the same name?

Can I decompile a labview 7.0 exe to locate the missing file name we are looking for?

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(14,267 Views)

You cannot decompile an executable, unfortunatly your error message does not mention which File wasn't available or the module that is using the Open File+.vi.

Do you have moved the application? Is a network share renamed/missing?

You can use Diskmon by Microsoft to monitor for which files the executabel is looking.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(14,257 Views)

attach your code.oneor the other will find out your problem

-------------------------------------------------------------
kudos welcome
Message 3 of 9
(14,252 Views)

Attached is the exe that was provided to us.

Yes - the problem started after we moved the files to a new machine - oddly - the program worked on both the new machine and the old machine for awhile but after about a month it stopped working on both machines - we think it might be related to the various versions of runtime or common files used by many other labview exe files we run but we cannot determine which file is the issue or missing.

The directory structure of the .vi are viewable in 8.5 - I have read information regarding opening embedded vi before 8.2 which this exe was build in 7.0 it would be nice to follow the code for the error.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(14,208 Views)

I don't know why omprakash would request the file. As already stated, you cannot view the code in an exe. It simply does not exist and if you read information that you can, provide a link so it can be corrected.

If the program runs, you have the correct runtime installed and it does not matter if you have ones for other versions installed. Other, external DLL's are a different story and perhaps you changed/updated one of those.

Did you try TCPlomps's suggestion? Did you contact the creator of the program? Did the vendor provide a list of dependencies?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(14,199 Views)

The Open File+.vi is included in the Read From Spreadsheet File.vi.  It's possible that this error is occurring because the file that you're trying to open doesn't exist at the filepath that you specified, or perhaps the filepath is mis-formatted.

- Greg J

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(14,052 Views)

Good afternoon

I'm getting this error in my code and I don't understand how to solve it.

I have done a previous code, a test one and it works. When I put it with a more complex code gives me the error. I'm posting both codes. Can someone help me? 

Thanks

Cat

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(13,638 Views)

You don't have the .txt constant wired in "bad one.vi". Or maybe it is wired but the screen capture did not work correctly. It is best to attach the actual VI.

By the way it is good that you did a search to try to find an answer before posting. But in this case it would have been apropriate to start a new thread.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(13,621 Views)

Hello ! (in fisrt, sorry if my english isn't perfect, i'm French ... Smiley Wink)

I had Labview 2010, and (thank Labview!), I receive Labview 2011 last week on my desk. I found it so good with a lot of new options! But but but ...

Well ... After many trafic (a translation of a french expression, but you understand the meaning...) between both versions : new driver, new runtime ... I was ready to try my new   .exe ... but the same message appeared : (it's in French, but it's the same error)

"Erreur 7 s'est produite à : Open File+.vi: Open File

Raisons possibles :

LabVIEW:  Fichier introuvable.
Le fichier a peut être été déplacé ou supprimé,
ou le chemin du fichier peut avoir été formaté de manière incorrecte par le système d'exploitation.
Par exemple, utilisez \ comme séparateur de chemin sous Windows, : sous Mac OS X et / sous Linux.
Vérifiez que le chemin est correct en utilisant l'invite de commande ou l'explorateur de fichiers.

NI-488:  Interface GPIB non existante."

After many hours on the program ... I found the solution !! (I hope the solution for you too !)

It's because, the NEW version of Labview doesn't support some component on your program. For me, they were componants "Read Lines From File.vi" and "File Dialog" which did the mistake.

How to find if it's your problem ?

Pass your mouse on all of the component of your VI (it could depend where you record your files) :

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2011\vi.lib\Utility\file.llb\Open File+.vi

and if it's the same problem, you could read "Labview can't support this componant anymore, change with "File Dialog"... on the helper box (ctrl+H).

Change the component and test again !

Good luck !

(for french people ...)

Si des français passent par là ... Peut-être serait-ce plus clair ainsi ...

J'ai eu le même message d'erreur, suite à un changement de version. A l'ouverture de l'.exe, le message d'erreur suivant  s'affiche :

"erreur 7 s'est produite à : Open File+.vi:Open File

Raisons possibles :

LabVIEW:  Fichier introuvable.
Le fichier a peut être été déplacé ou supprimé,
ou le chemin du fichier peut avoir été formaté de manière incorrecte par le système d'exploitation.
Par exemple, utilisez \ comme séparateur de chemin sous Windows, : sous Mac OS X et / sous Linux.
Vérifiez que le chemin est correct en utilisant l'invite de commande ou l'explorateur de fichiers.

NI-488:  Interface GPIB non existante."

La solution ?

Vérifier les composants dans le VI :
    C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2011\vi.lib\Utility\file.llb\Open File+.vi

Tous les composants ne sont pas valides avec toutes les versions Labview. Pour vérifier, il faut ouvrir l'aide contextuelle (ctrl+H), et passer au dessus de tous les composants. S'il y a un pb, les premières lignes de l'aide seront : "Labview ne prévoit plus le support de cette fonction sur le diagramme [...] le modifier avec ..... composant."
Changer le composant comme indiqué, et tester !

Bonne chance !

Elisabeth - SOREEL SA

Apprentie ingénieur en Maitrise des Energies

Polytech Nantes - ITII Pays de la Loire

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(13,387 Views)