From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 7 during build application

I upgraded from 8.2 to 8.5 a few weeks ago. Since then I have been unable to build an application I have been working on. I get the error below almost immediately after trying to build the application. I have tried building this on two seperate machines with 8.5 and get the same result. I can go back to 8.2 and it builds fine. I tried doing a mass compile with 8.5 with no success. I can run the top level vi with no error. LV seems to be looking for a file and can't find it, but I don't know what file it is looking for.

ERROR MESSAGE:

LabVIEW cannot find a file that is a dependency of a Startup, Exported, or Always Included VI.

File Not Found: .

The missing file might be referenced by one of the libraries included in the build or by the file - AutoScope.vi. To fix this issue:

- Open all Startup, Exported, or Always Included VIs, recompile them (CTRL+SHIFT Click the Run arrow) and save them to update their dependencies.

Visit the Request Support page at ni.com/ask to learn more about resolving this problem. Use the following information as a reference:

Error 7 occurred at AB_Engine_HandleLinkErrors.vi -> AB_Engine_Update_Source_from_Linker.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:CalculateDependencies.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Engine_Build.vi -> AB_Build_Invoke.vi -> AB_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer.
=========================
NI-488:  Nonexistent GPIB interface.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(6,069 Views)
When you tried to build the app on the other machine, did you recreate the build spec or use the one in the project?  I have seen cases where I had to nuke the build spec, do a mass compile and then recreate the build spec.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(6,059 Views)
Just tried with a new build spec and I get the same error.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(6,056 Views)

That looks familiar.

See this thread for what i saw.

A repair of the LV install may help.

Please let us know if this is the same issue or if this is a unique bug.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(6,056 Views)
I tried creating a new LV project and I get the same error. I did uninstall everything prior to installing 8.5. I'll try to have someone else build this on a different machine.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(6,049 Views)
I get the same error on a different (third) machine.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(6,036 Views)
The LabVIEW Application Builder 8.5 release notes have a possible solution to your problem.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,981 Views)
Hi Collin,

You mentioned that you did a mass compile with no success.  Was the mass compile unsuccessful?  Or the build after mass compiling?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(5,953 Views)
I think this is an 8.5 issue. If I create a blank vi, and then add a static vi reference, and point the static vi reference to the containing vi, building an application using that vi causes an error. Attached is a vi that demonstrates this. If you try to build the attached vi into an application it will fail if using 8.5. It will not fail when using 8.2.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(5,948 Views)
This error typically occurs if a project library that is being added to an executable (whether it was added explicitly or as a dependency) is missing a file. A library with a missing member is not technically "broken" so it can load ok (and I believe mass compile will not report that as a problem). But when you are adding the library as part of an executable, a missing member may cause a problem. I woudl first check any libraries you are using as part of the build to see if any of them have missing files. I would also try to adjust the Additional Exclusion settings  - "Remove unused members of project libraries".
George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(5,945 Views)