LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 7: GBIP interface does not exist

Solved!
Go to solution

I was trying to run a current-potential test but it shows an error 7 with the text GBIP interface does not exist.

I have added the image for the error and the code. Please suggest a way to solve this issue.errorerrorThe codeThe code

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(330 Views)

The error message shows two possible reasons:

  1. The GPIB error
  2. A file cannot be found

I would agree that it is unfortunate that both error have the same code. If you have no experience with GPIB, you have no context information and both errors seem equally likely.

 

They are not, though.

 

I am certain that your file name (D:\UserData\Vinit ... ) is somehow wrong.

 

 

PS: Can you read the text in your second image? No, me neither. Next time, can you take your screenshots using a higher resolution camera? I suggest oversampling by a factor of 4 - so, if this is a 800x600 monitor, try to get a camera with at least 3200x2400 pixel, at least for the area where the monitor is visible. Or take the screenshot from the inside (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-take-screenshots-in-windows-7-and-w...), that way there are no sampling errors when generating the image.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(306 Views)

The file name cannot be wrong as I am selecting the file by going through the path and not typing the name in the box.

 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(285 Views)

@Vinit96 wrote:

... I am selecting the file by going through the path ...


I see.

 

Try deleting these two teal wires:

 

Wires Responsible for Error 7Wires Responsible for Error 7

 

See if this solves the GPIB Error.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(261 Views)

Hi Vinit,

 


@Vinit96 wrote:

The file name cannot be wrong as I am selecting the file by going through the path and not typing the name in the box.


All that filepath mangling using string functions (using a "Data path" subVI, PathToString, ConcatString with a backslash, StringToPath) indicate something completely different!

 

When you have problems with your code you should attach code, either your VI or a simplified example VI demonstrating the same problem…

Best regards,
GerdW


using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(259 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vinit96

@LLindenbauer wrote:

@Vinit96 wrote:

... I am selecting the file by going through the path ...


I see.

 

Try deleting these two teal wires:

 

Wires Responsible for Error 7Wires Responsible for Error 7

 

See if this solves the GPIB Error.


You also need use the Open/Create/Replace File function open the file reference.  With that function, you can set it to "Create Or Replace" to actually create the file.  By default, it just opens the file (I believe it is the same for the Write Text File).  So if the file does not exist, that will throw an error code 7.


GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(250 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@LLindenbauer wrote:

@Vinit96 wrote:

... I am selecting the file by going through the path ...


I see.

 

Try deleting these two teal wires:

 

Wires Responsible for Error 7Wires Responsible for Error 7

 

See if this solves the GPIB Error.


You also need use the Open/Create/Replace File function open the file reference.  With that function, you can set it to "Create Or Replace" to actually create the file.  By default, it just opens the file (I believe it is the same for the Write Text File).  So if the file does not exist, that will throw an error code 7.


It should be fine. WTF creates the file if it is missing. Omitting the input causes a file selection menu to open, which bypasses the problematic path mangling (https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview/page/glang/write_characters_to_file.html). My money is on the folder not existing (and therefore no file can be created), but that cannot be fixed as long as we chase the GPIB interface and cannot see what happens to that path.

 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(226 Views)

@Vinit96 wrote:

The file name cannot be wrong as I am selecting the file by going through the path and not typing the name in the box.

 

Thank you


Well, it's simple to confirm that the save functions are indeed the problem. Just turn off the Save Data switch. If the error goes away, that's where your error is. (Or learn the debugging tools that will allow you to see exactly what function is generating the error.)

 

I'm guessing that is the case since that dialog is the one that appears when automatically handling errors that are not handled by user code, not the simple error handler function in the upper section of code.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(197 Views)

Thank you it works, I had to put an option to create the file and then everything was fine

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(124 Views)