From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -314004 Network Streams

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello there, 

I know that there are many topics about this particular problem but nothing seems to fit to my case.

First of all, in the two VIs provided , i am trying to establish a connection beetween two physical computers. The first one has a Windows 10 64bit operating system and the other Windows 8.1 64bit. Both computers have LabView 2011 with the following modules:

1)FPGA Module

2)Robotics Module

3)Real Time Module

Both are connected with ethernet to my home network, both can ping each other, both have LabView and associating programs excluded from firewall.

Also the machine who is the reader has its IP DMZed in router settings.

Writter IP => 192.168.1.5

Reader IP => 192.168.1.4

Please if you have any idea, tell me

Thank  you very much

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,949 Views)

Your code looks almost exactly like the examples provided by LabVIEW, except you specified a 5 second timeout instead of using the default -1 value.  You got an error that says that LabVIEW could not create the endpoint within the timeout period.  Try increasing (or eliminating) the TimeOuts.

I use Network Streams to talk to a PXI device which is designed to run a LabVIEW RT routine and be "contacted" by a Host PC.  The PXI code starts its Network Stream functions with the default "Never Time Out" value.  The PC code has a TimeOut of 15 seconds (15000), and if it errors out with this error, I "try again" up to 3 times before "giving up" (and reporting to the User "Turn on the PXI").  As it happens, when the Host finishes, it tells the PXI to reboot itself, which takes some time, so if I immediately restart the Host, and it immediately tries to connect, I might need to loop through a few attempts before I can establish connection.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 8
(3,931 Views)

Thanks for the fast response Bob.

I forced to specify the timeout period because if i didnt the VIs stuck in a state of not doing anything and i couldn't stop them except by terminating them. I tried to recreate the examples of LabView so i can i find the problem but no luck so far.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,923 Views)

Wrap the Create Endpoint in a While Loop.  You understand that if you put in a 5" timeout and it times out, it will cause an Error.  So put a Clear Error on the Error Line, wrap the Clear Error in a Case Statement, wire the Case Selector to the Error Line and notice that the Cases turn into "No Error" and "Error", and make sure that "Clear Error" is in the Error Case.

So now if a Timeout occurs, you will clear the Error and keep waiting.  How do you get out of the loop?

Simple.  If no Error occurs (the "No Error" case), then you got a connection and can exit the Loop.  If you want to be really fancy, you can branch the Error Line, connect it to the Stop Terminal, but put a "Not" function in front of the Stop (so it becomes "Stop on No Error" instead of "Stop on Error").  That should fix it.  It's a generalization of my "Wait 15 seconds 3 times" method I described for my PXI situation.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,903 Views)

So if i implemented your suggestion correctly, i should have something like the above screenshots. I left the VIs for five minutes running but no luck. I stopped them with the abort button. 

So i would to ask if there is any way to find if LabView actually tries to connect with the other pc or something like that. 

Thank you again for your fast response

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,897 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Constantin719

Hmm.  I currently don't have two machines available to test, but maybe I can bring my laptop to work tomorrow ...  Not at all sure why you are having trouble, the code looks OK, so I'd say it's a network issue (aha!  have you checked whether LabVIEW has access through the firewall on both machines, and whether you've got the TCP/IP settings configured in LabVIEW?) somewhere.

Bob Schor

Message 6 of 8
(3,885 Views)

So I found the answer...

The trick was to install Internet toolkit module for Labview 2011 and to deactivate the firewall on both computers. I dont know why i should deactivate it in first place because i have excluded everything related to labview on both machines.

Nowhere in LabView documentation is stated the internet toolkit should be installed, i guess it is self-explained...

At the end of the day it worked, i had this problem for three days 😛

I really thank you Bob for your support.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,882 Views)

Hooray!  Sometimes it's the simple things that trip us up (I've certainly had my share).

BS

Message 8 of 8
(3,877 Views)