From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1402: Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... During Installation

Hello,

When I try to install LabView (v7.1 or v8.0) I get the following error:

"Error 1402: Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\LVDB.Application\CLSID. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

I have full administrator privileges on my computer and I am able to modify that key manually using the registry editor. When I click the "Yes" button to continue the installation it will complete but then when I launch LabView I get the following error:

"The requested feature is unavailable on "localhost"".

Can you help me get LabView up and running?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(60,390 Views)
bhumble,

I may have a few suggestions for you to help resolve this error.  First comes the barrage of questions though.  Do you have any other National Instruments software installed?  Are you installing from a CD or from the hard drive?  Would it be possible to sign in as Administrator? 

I would recommend trying to first sign in as the Administrator, instead of just having full admin privileges.  Then trying to copy the CD to the hard drive and install from there.  The last would be to uninstall other National Instruments, clean up the registry and reinstall the software. 

Hope this helps!
Andy F. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(60,378 Views)
Thanks for the reply!

I have tried performing an installation with a few items on NI software (the exact list escapes me at the moment) but I have also tried it after freshly uninstalling all NI software and both actions yeild the same result. I have also tried removing the NI registry data but I'm not sure exactly how much to take out. I deleted everything under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Applications/National Instruments heading and got the same error during install.

I have tried both CD and HD based installations with identical results.

I have full admin priveleges but I have not yet tried installing from the Admin account. I'll give that a shot but I don't have high hopes since I know I have access to editing the key in question, I was able to modify it by hand without any trouble.

Best regards,
-Ben
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(60,368 Views)
Ben,

That is very interesting... I would try to login to the Admin account and do some cleaning.  Once you have everything removed, including leftover files and entries, then try to reinstall while still logged on as the Admin.  Hopefully this will work for you!

Andy F.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(60,353 Views)
I've tried logging in as Administrator and I got the same error. Any other ideas?

-Ben
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(60,351 Views)
Hello Ben,

Which OS are you using and which version of LabVIEW are you trying to install? This error is coming from the Windows Installer and it seems it is not specific to LabVIEW necessarily. Can you install any other software fine on this computer?

I would suggest disabling virus checkers/scanners if you have any, and try installing LabVIEW. Also, the following document from Microsoft refers to this error: Error message: Error 1402. Could not open key... and might be helpful.

You can also try reinstalling the latest version of Windows Installer (MSI installer) from Microsoft and see if that fixes the problem.

Good luck and best regards,
Shakhina P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(60,321 Views)
I'm trying to install LabView v7.1 on Windows XP. I've never had any trouble installing anything on my computer until now.

Good find on the error being a Microsfot thing! Unfortunately I don't have a registry checker installed (I don't think XP comes with one like ME and 98 do). Running such a program is the only solution given to the problems shown in the articles you posted. Do you know where I can get regscan.exe and if it will work on my system?

-Ben
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(60,317 Views)
Ben,

All of the registry cleaners that I know about are 3rd party for Windows XP.  I did a quick search on download.com and got a few hits.  I also know that Norton has one that will probably work.  However, I did find a link on the Adobe website that may help you as well.  This is the same error that you are getting but with Adobe products and basically involves permission setting for that key.  You might give it a whirl.

Lemme know if it works.
Andy F.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(60,301 Views)
The Adobe knowledgebase article actually pointed me in the right direction and I was able to solve the issue. Thanks to all who gave advise, you guys are the reason these forums work!

The error message was actually coming from the Microsoft Installer, not from anything related to National Instruments. Also, ironically, what the message said was spot on with one exception, while I personally had access to the registry key, the installer didn’t. What I ended up doing was going into the registry using regedit and setting the permissions on the key in questions such that “Everyone” had full access. After that I uninstalled LabView then reinstalled and it worked fine this time. The step by step follows:

1) Open the registry editor by selecting "Run" from the start menu and then typing in "regedit".

2) Browse through the registry and select the entry mentioned in the error message.

3) Choose "Permissions..." from either the edit menu or by right-clicking on the registry key's parent directory.

4) Click the "Advanced" button to add a new user.

5) Type in "Everyone" as the new user and click OK (it may not be necessary to give everyone full control but this is what I did and it worked).

6) Configure the permissions for user "Everyone" to "Full Control"

7) Uninstall LabView (if necessary) and re-install.

Best regards,
-Ben
Message 9 of 22
(60,250 Views)
Ben,

Glad to hear you got it to work!  We are glad to help! Smiley Happy

Andy F.!
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(60,212 Views)