cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -1073807339

Solved!
Go to solution

@trinityghost1 wrote:

So... any new ideas? It's been 2 weeks, and I've done my best to give everything requested so far in a timely manner.

Is this typical for most problems on the official NI LabVIEW forums? As a first time user and professional, I'm disappointed and feel like my problem has been completely forgotten.

Just for clarity, the majority of the folks using the forum are fellow NI product users trying to help each other in their "free time" (yes, nobody pays to help random strangers) and hence there is no guarantee that someone with the knowledge and guidance for your question has the free time to respond.

There are a lot of cases where your post might be buried deep that nobody notices, to improve the chances of the right folks noticing the issue, you need to post with a proper title not just "Error -1073807339" under the right board.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 11 of 31
(874 Views)

First of all, just wanted to say, thanks for the continued replies and support everyone. Like I said, it's my first time on the forums and I'm fairly new to LabVIEW in general (although not to programming itself), so it can be a bit frustrating, but I understand and will try to be more patient in the future. Thus why I ask, so I can get a lay of the land and learn how the culture typically operates around here. I appreciate the help greatly.

With that out of the way: NIquist, I look forward to hearing more from you on this matter since you have the same equipment and ran into the same problems. Let me know if you figure out any sort of a solution or know of anything I should try on my end. Over here we basically figured it was a hardware issue of some sort with the meter itself, so it seems like we're on the same page on that point. I guess my question is: is there a way to fix this? I was speaking with my father who has years of experience in LabVIEW and programming in general and even he got stuck with this, but he thinks that it may be possible to get into the SCPI programming and maybe fix it from that angle (I've never used SCPI before so idk how viable this is). There's also the possibility of going into the Agilent sub VI's in the Read VI and make changes to it, maybe find some way to fix the VI's if that's the main source of the problem although I'm unsure if that's too advanced for me. I have a week off of work around Christmas so if we can't figure it out in this thread by then, I'll likely bring the equipment home with me and my dad will have time to help during that time.

Also: should I just use a different meter? We have a TON of the 34401A's here where I work. I've been told typically they aren't used in this sort of way (being controlled by LabVIEW) though, in most experiments they're just used to check the voltage/current. I have a Keithley 2400 and 2450 Source Meter here as well, so I might just try those instead. Even if they work, though, I'm still just curious about how to fix the problem with the 34401A if nothing else. I'd still like to fix it, if possible, even if the solution is just "use a different meter". It's kind of funny: this project was suggested to me by my dad so I could have a basic project to get some real coding in, controlling actual hardware in a simple and basic way, and right away it has this major issue despite being considered by us to be a beginner project! And of course, it isn't even really a problem with my programming logic, but things outside of that (hardware/outdated drivers/etc). It's still great experience though, I'm here to learn after all.

Finally: santo_13 mentioned using a "proper title" under the "right board". Could you give any suggestions on what a better title would be so I know for the next time? Also, is this the "right board", and if not, where should I go to post about problems I need help with fixing?

Thanks again for everyone's help. I hope we can figure this out at some point with the 34401A but I'm still not sure how deep the rabbit hole goes in regards to dealing with seemingly ancient drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 31
(834 Views)

LV ships with 34401 examples.

Have you tried running the LV example? Can be found at <C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2020\instr.lib\Agilent 34401\Examples\Agilent 34401 Read Single Measurement.vi> BTW. Do not use the "run continuously" button to run the vi's.

It appears  you are doing everything right (IE matches the shipping example) One thing you can try is putting a Instrument Reset at the start (after initialize and before the configuration) to get the instrument back to a known good state. I suspect that this is the real problem.

Next thing to try is swap out the instrument, since you have more than one available.

Also, you might want to check the 34401 FW version. Newer version might be available.

Welcome to the real world where simple things that should just-work causes you to pull your hair out! LOL

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 13 of 31
(814 Views)

@trinityghost1 wrote:

First of all, just wanted to say, thanks for the continued replies and support everyone. Like I said, it's my first time on the forums and I'm fairly new to LabVIEW in general (although not to programming itself), so it can be a bit frustrating, but I understand and will try to be more patient in the future. Thus why I ask, so I can get a lay of the land and learn how the culture typically operates around here. I appreciate the help greatly.

With that out of the way: NIquist, I look forward to hearing more from you on this matter since you have the same equipment and ran into the same problems. Let me know if you figure out any sort of a solution or know of anything I should try on my end. Over here we basically figured it was a hardware issue of some sort with the meter itself, so it seems like we're on the same page on that point. I guess my question is: is there a way to fix this? I was speaking with my father who has years of experience in LabVIEW and programming in general and even he got stuck with this, but he thinks that it may be possible to get into the SCPI programming and maybe fix it from that angle (I've never used SCPI before so idk how viable this is). There's also the possibility of going into the Agilent sub VI's in the Read VI and make changes to it, maybe find some way to fix the VI's if that's the main source of the problem although I'm unsure if that's too advanced for me. I have a week off of work around Christmas so if we can't figure it out in this thread by then, I'll likely bring the equipment home with me and my dad will have time to help during that time.

Also: should I just use a different meter? We have a TON of the 34401A's here where I work. I've been told typically they aren't used in this sort of way (being controlled by LabVIEW) though, in most experiments they're just used to check the voltage/current. I have a Keithley 2400 and 2450 Source Meter here as well, so I might just try those instead. Even if they work, though, I'm still just curious about how to fix the problem with the 34401A if nothing else. I'd still like to fix it, if possible, even if the solution is just "use a different meter". It's kind of funny: this project was suggested to me by my dad so I could have a basic project to get some real coding in, controlling actual hardware in a simple and basic way, and right away it has this major issue despite being considered by us to be a beginner project! And of course, it isn't even really a problem with my programming logic, but things outside of that (hardware/outdated drivers/etc). It's still great experience though, I'm here to learn after all.

Finally: santo_13 mentioned using a "proper title" under the "right board". Could you give any suggestions on what a better title would be so I know for the next time? Also, is this the "right board", and if not, where should I go to post about problems I need help with fixing?

Thanks again for everyone's help. I hope we can figure this out at some point with the 34401A but I'm still not sure how deep the rabbit hole goes in regards to dealing with seemingly ancient drivers.

I would suggest something along the lines of "Agilent 34401A VISA read timeout at Fetch Single Point Measurement" as the title. I would consider your topic under the Instrument Control board instead of LabVIEW as the error is not due to LabVIEW.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 14 of 31
(809 Views)

Well, I still don't have the experience with those E series power supplies to understand why I can't output more than 8VDC without a current error but I think I have the code working.  I mainly rearranged the PS and DMM pieces into a more logical sequence of Setup PS, turn ON PS, Setup DMM, Read DMM.  I removed the external trigger since it is in the AG34401 Single Point Read VI.

Then, I found I was reading a voltage that was the last one I set but not the current set voltage.  I had to add a time delay between the PS output ON and the DMM setup.  Only a surprisingly large value of 1 second seems reliable.  I have seen this kind of thing in the past as new PC with vastly faster processors and multiple CPUs ran so fast that the old hardware and GPIB delays became a problem but usually a few mSec was enough.  

I also had to set34401 Init VI to NOT reset or run an ID check.  I have seen that MANY times in the past years but still not sure why.  I generally set up all my hardware in the initialize state in my state machines so I do it all myself there.

Go ahead and play with this version.  Try changing some of the constants to controls and play around.  I would definitely focus on learning the 34401 since it is an industry standard.  The old E-Series power supplies seem to have trouble in the modern world though.  I would buy a cheapy off-brand from Amazon if you don't have a newer option in your stock.  Better yet, get a nice SMU! 😎

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 15 of 31
(775 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

... was reading a voltage that was the last one I set but not the current set voltage.  I had to add a time delay between the PS output ON and the DMM setup.

😎

Classic example of a magic delay

Spoiler

Frozen_0-1670361902892.png

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 16 of 31
(763 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

@NIquist wrote:

... was reading a voltage that was the last one I set but not the current set voltage.  I had to add a time delay between the PS output ON and the DMM setup.

😎

Classic example of a magic delay

Spoiler

Frozen_0-1670361902892.png

😃 I still remember cracking up when I first ran that VIPM mod and the little animated fairy flew out and started dropping random delays all over my block diagram.  I was surprised how many times it actually worked too.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 17 of 31
(759 Views)

Downloaded the code and tried running it, but still seem to get the same error as before. Still the fetch in the Read VI. Is there anything else I might be missing here or doing wrong?

error 34401.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 31
(718 Views)
Solution
Accepted by trinityghost1

Hmm, you're getting the warning from the power supply which I had for a while but went away.  I may have changed something from its front panel.  As I said, I never use the old power supplies.

Try dropping a Clear Error.vi* in the error wire between the PS and the 1 second delay.  That will remove the warning that I think is confusing the Fetch VI.

* You can get it fast with quick drop - Press cntl-space and start typing the name of the VI you need. 😉

Message 19 of 31
(707 Views)

1073676407 visa warning & E3646A power supply - NI Community

Looks like that PS warning is also related to timing so it may just be our fast PCs are the cause.  Good chance to probe the issue and figure out where a delay or two might help.

Or you could download the Magic Delay Fairy.  😀 JKI Magic Delay Fairy (QD Plug-in) Toolkit for LabVIEW - Download - VIPM by JKI

Message 20 of 31
(702 Views)