LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1 Message - Input Parameter is Invalid

I finally got my file to run and load without error messages, but then when I start to run my program I get a new message:

Error occurred at close file in "Program Name Here.VI"

Possible Reason(s):

LabVIEW: An input parameter is invalid.
---
NI-488: Command requires GPIB controller to be in charge.

Does anyone have any clue as to what this message is trying to tell me?

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(17,550 Views)
It means that you have a VI called "Program name Here.vi" that has a close file in it. This close file has an invalid parameter.

I can't give you much more help than the error message has without knowing more about the problem.

Hope that this helps,
Bob
Message 2 of 12
(17,540 Views)
With Close File, this usually means that the file reference is invalid. Since by default, LabVIEW 7.1 has automatic error handling dialogs enabled, could it be possible that the error was there all along and you simply didn't have the error out connection wired so that you didn't see it?
Message 3 of 12
(17,538 Views)
I have met the same problem with Twin Cityes Timmy before. I solve this problem by save the project one more time, Save with Options...-->Changed VIs --->Save. then I made it again. It works.

Anybody who meet this problem again please try, no matter it works or not, please write it out.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(17,321 Views)

Hi all! 

I am doing a program which will permit me to get back the resistance and the voltage given by a thin ceramic film. I have a keithley K-705 scanner which permits to 2diffenrents channels to be opened and closed allowing a HP34401A multimeter ( when channel is closed) to make the resistance and voltage measurements.

First of all i got a simply program to begin (cause it is too tricky for me
This one open a path file where the measurements will be recorded, take measurement of voltage, and do an average i want to be recorded and the time of acquisition in the meantime too.

But i got two problems :

---->  first, when i want to stop my acquisition, when labview program close the file, it gives me a known error you guys know in this forum cause i've seen it many times :

Error occured at close file :"----.vi"\

LabVIEW: An input parameter is invalid.
---
NI-488: Command requires GPIB controller to be in charge.

I have already tried to save it and change VI's and save again, it does nothing,  i have read here it was possible to change the string command of misc icon  and write it to rsc 1, but as i don't know how it really works, i have spent 3hours on it, i haven't been able top manage it alone.

Does anyone have any clue to help me about that?
---->And then i have seen that the excel file i have created was empty 😐  (size : 0 bytes)
 Actually, when i control the running program, i see that nothing goes in my loop....

If anybody can help a great noob but who wanna improve his skills in Labview (just 2weeks on it and about 1week on this forum to learn faster ) thanks in advance...

I give you my little program, hoping this helps

Daron 
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(17,225 Views)
Hello Daron,

The first error you are getting most likely has to do with the CloseFile VI having an incorrect parameter, if that is where the error is being thrown.  On the otherhand, since you did mention that you are doing GPIB communication, if one of those VIs is throwing the error, the second error message would be more relevant.  Either way, It may be beneficial for you to attach your test VI, so that we can isolate if it is a GPIB error or if the error results from how you are closing your file.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(17,206 Views)

Hi Wendy!

Thanks for having answered me! 🙂

Actually i've resolved my problem (i think) cause i had used a "for loop" and i changed it into a "while loop". Finnaly i works (dunno why, but after trying everything i rested that lol...) Actually, i got some data in my excel file and the error message linked to the input parameter problem doesn't appear anymore. So it seems to be good. I had checked up the wiring of my close data file item, but everything were OK, then i have thought about my loop. I hope this will help some noobs like me...

Nevertheless i thank you very much for your help, i think i'm not finish yet with my program, it is just the beginning, so be aware of my next message 😉

Sorry for last message, i forgot to attach my program 🙂

Daron

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(17,199 Views)

Hi Wendy!

Thanks for having answered me! 🙂

Actually i've resolved my problem (i think) cause i had used a "for loop" and i changed it into a "while loop". Finnaly i works (dunno why, but after trying everything i rested that lol...) Actually, i got some data in my excel file and the error message linked to the input parameter problem doesn't appear anymore. So it seems to be good. I had checked up the wiring of my close data file item, but everything were OK, then i have thought about my loop. I hope this will help some noobs like me...

Nevertheless i thank you very much for your help, i think i'm not finish yet with my program, it is just the beginning, so be aware of my next message 😉

Sorry for last message, i forgot to attach my program 🙂

Daron

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(17,199 Views)

Since this discussion is the top result when doing a google search for LabView Error 1 I am posting this here.

I recently had trouble with getting Error 1 from a Close File function. Ultimately found to be trying to close the file a second time after already closing it once. So passing the refnum of an already closed file to the Close File function will cause this error. I hope this helps.

Message 9 of 12
(13,406 Views)

THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(12,794 Views)