From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dr. Damien's Development - Object Based File I/O VII - Base Class Implementation

The base classes are now fully implemented and the top level design has been modified to account for changes during that implementation.

FileIOClassDiagram.png

Attached is the implementation and the current UML design in Dia format. Note that there are no derived specific classes for individual data types. This was done because the file format will determine what types of data are supported. For example, an archive will only store files and a text file will only store strings, while a binary file or a spreadsheet file can store virtually any type of data. Image files store 2D arrays as well as various types of metadata. Each file type will implement the data types needed for its use.

Next time, I will try to implement a vertical slice through the binary file type.

Previous Posts In This Series:

1. Representative File Types with conversation on design
  2. Requirements
  3. Top Level Design
  4. Design II
  5. Design III
  6. Implementation I
Download All
Message 1 of 3
(3,861 Views)

Thank you for this!  This is a good guide on OOP design for us who are new to the concept.  I've implemented OOP in small scale and have been looking for a large scale example.

Message 2 of 3
(3,469 Views)

@Nickerbocker wrote:

Thank you for this!  This is a good guide on OOP design for us who are new to the concept.  I've implemented OOP in small scale and have been looking for a large scale example.

Ditto that!

I have 5 days in a row off that I plan to split between entertaining Olivia, teaching myself to weld, and studying this series of Nuggets! These three activities will demand different parts of my brain so when I go into cerebral overload when chewing on these Nuggets, I can take a break and go vaproize some wire or throw a shower of sparks. When it gets toooo cold, I can can curl up with LVOOP, Nerdvana.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 3
(3,432 Views)