From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diskless network boot of LabVIEW RT using PXE.

Does anybody have experience booting LabVIEW RT disklessly over the internet using PXE on a PXI Embedded slot 1 controller?
Message 1 of 9
(3,362 Views)

Hello kmcdevitt,

This is Andrew Brown, an Applications Engineer from National Instruments. Could you please tell me what PXI controller you are using?

In general, good resources on these controllers can be searched for at the NI Manual page. Also, I have located some good resources on switching between booting Windows XP and LabVIEW RT on a PXI controller and dual booting Windows XP on a PXI controller

Regards,

Andrew Brown

Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,335 Views)

Andrew,

Do you understand what it means to boot diskless using PXE?

I was asking if is it is possible to boot LabVIEW Real Time, using PXE, on a PXI Embedded Controller which is diskless.

Kevin.

Message 3 of 9
(3,332 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,320 Views)

Hello kmcdevitt,

I understand both the reference to the Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) and the original question. The reason I asked for the model of PXI controller you are using (or hoping to use) was to determine whether such an operation is supported or even compatible. Thus, could you please tell me what PXI controller you are / will be using?

After researching the issue further, booting from PXE is not an official feature of the system. A much easier (and supported with LabVIEW RT 2011) option is booting from a USB drive. Information about this operation can be found at Booting an RT Target from an RT Desktop PC Utility USB Drive. Another option is also to turn on your PXI system from the ethernet connection

Regards,

Andrew Brown

Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,304 Views)

Andrew,

I understand now that you don't understand my question.

What I am asking is if anyone has experience booting the LabVIEW RealTime OS on

any diskless computer weather it is a PXI Embeded Controller or a Desktop Computer.

Kevin.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,301 Views)

Hello Andrew!

I'm looking for help getting a Compact RIO 9065 to PXE boot and install a NI Real Time OS - I've started to gather alot of sources but I think I'm at a position where I need to get more details.

The purpose is to be able to deploy the whole OS onto the device and further build up the installation via tools like ansible, juju, curtain and cloud-init etc.

Any information on this topic is helpful and I'm willing to discuss payed work on this if needed.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,679 Views)

Hello Erik,

So with forum posts, I think it would be to your best advantage to create a new one rather than posting on one a few years old. Can you create a new post with your question?

Can you explain further by installing a NI Real Time OS? 

The cRIO 9065 comes with NI Linux Real Time OS already on it:

http://www.ni.com/en-us/support/model.crio-9065.html

Finally, I think a good next step for you would be to get connected to our sales department. They can provide a systems level consultation. Their phone number is  (877) 387-0015

PahlM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,667 Views)

Hello!

I've started another thread on this: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/DHCP-TFTP-and-PXE-boot-a-cRIO-9065/m-p/3886718/hi...

Thanx for calling out! I'll try get in contact with NI tech on this.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,655 Views)