From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directory structure for different drivers

Solved!
Go to solution

I have different instruments and am creating Vis for these instruments to support custom features. These Vis will then be used as subvis to create application. Say there is DMM, Scope and power supply. Will creating their own llbs (one llb for DMM, one llb for scope and one llb for power supply) and keeping these llbs in their own separate folder; create any linkage problem when the application is created? Application can call DMM Vis and scope Vis as subvis. Or should all the llbs (DMM llb, Scope llb and power supply llb) be located in one folder?

CLD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,134 Views)
I hope that you have a typo and are using lvlib and not an llb. The llb is obsolete and should never be used for development. You will not have cross-linking issues with an lvlib and you can place them in different folders.
Message 2 of 4
(2,129 Views)

Yes that is correct, that was a typo...thanks Dennis. Can you please elaborate on when you said "you can place them in different folders".

Currently trying to figure out what will be the best place to save the VIs that are written using vendor provided drivers (Vis). Not sure if instr.lib should be the location or can these be placed in root directory. I do plan on saving the low level VIs that will be used in our project directory even if provided by vendor. That way if the verndor driver gets updated in future our Vis would still work. Does instr.lib gets deleted/updated if LV version is uninstalled/updated?

Thanks!

CLD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,116 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lvrat

How can I possibly elaborate? You asked if there would be a problem if you placed them in different folders and I said you can.

I would avoid placing custom code in the instr.lib folder. Installing a new version of LabVIEW does not alter the existing installation.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,112 Views)