LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Output

Hello;

I want to create either Digital Output or Analog Output in my labview program. Whatever I read online was based on using PCI (DAQ) hardware.

is there any way to create a square wave and use it in labview program and also send it out  (as an output) to another computer through serial port or any other possible way? Any help is appreciated...

I am curious to know can we do it without use of any NI DAQ hardware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,595 Views)

Basically you can do anything with LabVIEW.

Do you have any hardware that you want to use? Your question would be way easier to answer I you already had an Idea what you want to do.

E.g.: I once used a Gossen Metrawatt to supply something with a variable voltage.

Since the Metrawatt already had the functionality ready, I just had to use the right commands via RS-232 to program it and then start the slope.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,588 Views)

No, i dont have any hardware. I am thinking of send back that didgital output through serial port. I want to do it all in labview program without using any microcontroller or PCI, USB.

If you have any idea please let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,577 Views)

PC serial ports use a bi-polar voltage output of around +/- 12 VDC.  It's not appropriate for generating TTL (or anything else except RS-232 signals).

If you have a PARALLEL port though, it's very easy.  Look in the LabVIEW Example Finder and search parallel port.  You'll find some good example to output digital signals from it.  If you have no parallel port, you'll probably need a cheap DAQ card at least.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,569 Views)

The serial port can most certainly be used as long as you encode the signal and decode it at the other end (convert to string data). Simpler would be to use TCP/IP. The shipping examples would not even require modification.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,566 Views)

I got some idea. 

What is Shipping example?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,556 Views)

Thanks guys

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,555 Views)

The shipping examples are the set of example VIs that ship with every version of LabVIEW.  They are a great way to learn (by example).  Find them by opening LabVIEW, then select Help > Find Examples...  A new window will open with all sorts of example code categorized by type.  You can also search for keywords.

I assumed by your first post you're looking for a way to generate simple waveforms without buying a DAQ.  If you're just trying to connect two PCs for communications then as Dennis has said, you can certainly use the serial ports but you're better off using network ports with LabVIEWs built-in TCP VIs.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,540 Views)