LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between error and warning

Hello all,

Can any one tell me how can we diffrentiate between an error and warning  or share any link where i can find detail information.

I read that when I/O error clustor status is false but there is some code it means we have warning or when the coide is positive then it is warning but i am not clear in detail.

Also What happens to a warning, if an error occurs afterwards? Vice versa, what happens to an error, if a warning occurs afterwards?

Thanks in advance.... 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(11,889 Views)

In general, a negative error code is an error, and a positive code is a warning.  But what truly determines it is the boolean value in the error cluster.

An error that occurs after a warning should cause it to override the warning in the error wire.  I'm not 100% sure of that, but it is easy enough to figure out for yourself by experimenting.  A warning would probably not overwrite an error (because later errors don't overwrite errors), but again, you can experiment and figure that out for yourself.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(11,880 Views)

I read in an article that the error clustor returns the last error in a program.. So if a warning occurs then will it override the error. Also i am not sure about the first staement.

I am trying to experiment but i am unable to generate warning.

Regards

Omer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(11,871 Views)

Provide a link to the article that says that.  It sounds like the complete oppostive of everything I have ever heard.

How incoming warnings and errors are treated can depend on what function you are using.  Most LabVIEW functions and subVI's have "standard error functionality" which means they execute on no error, but on an incoming error, they do not do what they would normally do and pass the error through unchanged.  Other functions (often Close functions), will execute even with an incoming error.  If they generate another error, they have generally seemed to pass the original error through.  But it often depends on how they are written.  If they use the Merge Error function, the first error wired into the primitive is what gets passed on.  So depending on how the merge error is wired would determine if the "first" error goes through or a later occurring error.

You can generate a warning by creating an error constant, setting the boolean to be a non-error, giving it a positive error number, and typing whatever you want into the description and passing that in.

There is no one answer to these questions, so all you can do is experiment.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(11,863 Views)
You can display warnings as here : https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvhowto/warnings/
Here's a link shows how you can generate warning: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A5FBE856130518AF862570F4007D8761
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(11,856 Views)

I will try experimenting then.. and will provide the link to the article if it comes in front of me again.

Regards

Omer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(11,853 Views)

Of course in Texas (and only in Texas!) you also need to take warnings very seriously! 😄

(*I still don't know what that sign really means... ;)))

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(11,843 Views)

- Whenever error comes we cant proceed as there is syntax error in programming when we write a      code.
- Error while loading files occur when the file is corrupted ,missing.
- Error can also occur when we want to delete a file when access is denied in settings.

- Error also occur in programming when dlls are not assembled properly.

Warnings:

- Warning explains about some unexpected behaviour.
  For e.g- Function should return a value i.e-it is supposed to return a value but if it is not then also    we can proceed. 
- This is unexpected but not harming or as if something which stops a process.
- Warning also is a message which before execution tells that during or after execution the software    may behave unevenly.

Message 8 of 11
(11,795 Views)

If the boolean is true, it's an error.

If the boolean is false, and the code is non-zero, then it's a warning.

If the boolean is false, and the code is zero, then it's no-error (which also means no warning)

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 9 of 11
(11,740 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Of course in Texas (and only in Texas!) you also need to take warnings very seriously! 😄

(*I still don't know what that sign really means... ;)))

altenbach,

I believe warning signs are yellow, and regulatory signs are white. In most places, you are allowed to go the speed limit posted in white, even if you're on a mountain and it warns you to go 20 MPH slower around a curve.

It should be noted that all states in the US require you to obey physics, so even if you're allowed to go a certain speed, you should not go fast enough to overcome the static coefficient of friction of your tires 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(11,731 Views)