cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices are NOT available in myRIO project

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'd like to operate both myRIO and measurement devices (such as oscilloscopes and cameras).

However, I cannot open VISA and NIMAQdx at VI files in myRIO project.

Connected devices are NOT recognized in the file, though I confirmed in NI-MAX that the devices surely exist.

When I open the same file out of myRIO project, I can use without any problem.

If you know why I can NOT operate devices in myRIO project and tell me the reason, I would really appreciate.

thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,048 Views)

Hi uyasuda,

@uyasuda wrote:

If you know why I can NOT operate devices in myRIO project and tell me the reason, I would really appreciate.

Because the myRIO is a computer on its own and has no idea about anything connected to your (Windows) host computer!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,009 Views)

You have told us nothing about your system.

• What version of LabVIEW are you running, both Year and whether 32 or 64-bit LabVIEW?
  • What software is installed on the myRIO, including Version(s)?
  • What hardware is "visible to MAX"?

Since you did not attach your Project (which would have answered some of these questions), please do the following:

1. Run MAX.
  2. Under Remote Systems, you should see your myRIO.  Expand its Software Tab and include a screenshot of the installed software.

Note that if the myRIO does not show up, you need to tell us this and give us as much information as you can so we can suggest how you might "fix" this.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,005 Views)

hi, Bob

thank you for your reply.

sorry for the lack of information

but, I might get the reason why it doesn't work well.

I tried your advice. I can see myRIO under Remote Systems in MAX and confirmed required software such as IMAQdx is installed.

When I connected USB camera to myRIO directly, it was successfully detected. (I was connecting devices to PC. I noticed this might be why it didn't work)

But what I'd like to do is to operate both several devices and myRIO in a single file (or in a single project). 

I think it may be impossible to do so.

(if you know whether or not it's possible, please tell me)

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(982 Views)

Hi, GerdW

Your answer has made sense to me!

I assumed myRIO is one of micro-controllers such as Aruduino.

However is there no method to call subVI (which is under myRIO project) out of the project? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(981 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author uyasuda

Hi uyasuda,

@uyasuda wrote:

However is there no method to call subVI (which is under myRIO project) out of the project? 

No.

To run a VI on your RIO it has to be inside a project and in the "myRIO" target tree...

Or you create an executable for the myRIO and run that on startup.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 9
(969 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author uyasuda

You know, I presume, that LabVIEW is a Data-Flow language, which means that is can do many things more-or-less "at the same time", i.e. it has inherent parallelism.  On the other hand, the myRIO runs Linux Real-Time, which trades "parallelism" for "determinism", doing things quickly, and with minimal (and reproducible) latency.  So you make a "partnership" -- the PC handles those "human-time critical" (i.e. "responding within 50 ms") and "parallel" tasks (like managing a User Interface, doing streaming of data to files in parallel with acquiring the data, while the myRIO handles the "fast", "time-critical", "minimal and fixed latency" Real-Time tasks.  Plus the presence of an FPGA is the ultimate in Parallel Processing ...  So a well-designed LabVIEW Real-Time Project gives you both a Responsive User Interface (on the PC) and a fast and deterministic Real-Time Data Acquisiition system (in the myRIO).

Bob Schor

Message 7 of 9
(959 Views)

I got it!

It's disappointing not to be able to handle both in a single VI, but it's good to find it impossible to do so.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(944 Views)

I didn't know myRIO is designed to be good at parallelism. I realize I must study more about myRIO.

Thank you so much for telling me a lot of information I didn't know.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(942 Views)