LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device for studying LabView

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

I would look for (a) new or used device(s) you can use later,

a Rigol or the like scope with usb/ ethernet, or a multimeter with a serial/usb?

While boat anchors  could be cheap(and often have service manuals to repair and learn), most of them need a RS488 (GPIB) and the GPIB2NI hardware is not cheap.

The used market is always a good place to start, in fact I just picked up a NI USB-5132 (USB Oscilloscope) on E-bay.

I low balled them and they sold it for $200 but you will find NI hardware is so expensive to begin with that it tends to hold it's value..

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 22
(221 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

I would look for (a) new or used device(s) you can use later,

a Rigol or the like scope with usb/ ethernet, or a multimeter with a serial/usb?

Oh yeah +1 for Rigol scope.  I haven't written any drivers for it in LabVIEW yet but I picked up a new 4 channel DS1054Z scope for $350.  It has a 50MHz bandwidth and can be software unlocked for 200MHz, and add other features like I2C and SPI.  Admittedly a bit on the unethical side, which is why I haven't done it.  It has a LAN labeled LXI, and a USB connector which likely acts as a VISA device.

Then even if you don't fall in love with LabVIEW you can still have a really good consumer level scope for other electronic projects.  The problem with buying something like myDAQ, myRIO, or any other NI device is the driver support is primarily LabVIEW and these devices have less uses outside of that ecosystem.

EDIT: Also for a serial DMM I like this one from Tekpower.  It's only $35 and has a serial interface, and the basic modes you'd expect from a portable DMM.  I wrote some quick and dirty drivers over here for it.  This like the scope, can work outside of LabVIEW and be a useful investment.  It isn't a  Fluke, doesn't have the support, precision, calibration, or warranty, like a Fluke does.  But if you just need something for a basic logger connected to a PC, it will work.

Double Edit: It seems almost all features of the Rigol are now unlocked by the factory including I2C, SPI, RS232, and other things. Just the bandwidth limitation is still in place.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 22
(191 Views)