LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detecting ip address of cameras connected to PC via switch using LABVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to access the IP adresses of 3 cameras connected to my PC via switch using LabVIEW but not able to do it. Is it possible to do so using labview?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,194 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author priya9129

Do you know the IP addresses? What do you want to do? Just connect to them? Communicate with them? In what way? All of these things can be done with LabVIEW but how easy depends what you try to do, what other software you are willing to install and buy and many more things.

NI sells the NI Vision Acquisition Software which supports a number of cameras IF they support the GigE standard with the Genicam protocol. But there are many cameras out there which do not support that despite having also a RJ-45 network connection. If you want to use them in LabVIEW things can get a lot more complicated. While LabVIEW has functions to communicate over TCP/IP, you do not want to implement a camera streaming protocol in LabVIEW yourself. That is a huge undertaking to do. Usually you would need to have a SDK from the camera manufacturer that you then import into LabVIEW through use of the Call Library Node (if the SDK provides standard DLLs) or through .Net (if the SDK has a .Net interface). Both are doable but not without fully understanding the working principle of that SDK API.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,164 Views)

Thank you for the response. I only want to know the IP addresses of these cameras connected to my PC via a switch. Unfortunately, the SDK provided by camera manufacturer does not have a DLL or .net interface. Kindly help. I am only interested in knowing the IP addresses. Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,148 Views)

There exists no general agreed method to discover IP addresses of devices at all. Each product implements its own method of broadcast discovery protocol. Accordingly only the tools of the product manufacturer are usually able to detect such products on the network. This is especially true for network cameras.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,146 Views)