From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detect sound through mic using preamplifier AND a NI USB-6381 BNC DAQ

Hello!

I am trying to detect sound waves using a mic, a preamplifier and a NI USB-6381 BNC DAQ.

I have been trying to detect it as a voltage input but I get too much noise at more or less 3-5mV spikes (looking to detect a very small sound). I am using a soundproof box so the noise much be internal.

I tried to change input to sound pressure but I get an error:

Error -200431 occurred at DAQmx Create Channel (AI-Sound Pressure-Microphone).vi:6950001

Selected physical channel does not support the measurement type required by the virtual channel you are creating.
Create a channel of a measurement type that is supported by the physical channel, or select a physical channel that supports the measurement type.

Property: AI.MeasType
Requested Value: Sound Pressure:Microphone
Possible Values: Current, Resistance, Strain Gage, Temperature:Built-in Sensor, Temperature:RTD, Temperature:Thermistor, Temperature:Thermocouple, Voltage, More:Voltage:Custom with Excitation

Task Name: _unnamedTask<1E>

Any ideas/suggestions are very very much appreciated!

I look forward to reading your answers!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(992 Views)

Hello!

I am trying to detect sound waves using a mic, a preamplifier and a NI USB-6381 BNC DAQ.

I have been trying to detect it as a voltage input but I get too much noise at more or less 3-5mV spikes (looking to detect a very small sound). I am using a soundproof box so the noise much be internal.

Error -200431 occurred at DAQmx Create Channel (AI-Sound Pressure-Microphone).vi:6950001

Selected physical channel does not support the measurement type required by the virtual channel you are creating.
Create a channel of a measurement type that is supported by the physical channel, or select a physical channel that supports the measurement type.

Requested Value: Sound Pressure:Microphone
Possible Values: Current, Resistance, Strain Gage, Temperature:Built-in Sensor, Temperature:RTD, Temperature:Thermistor, Temperature:Thermocouple, Voltage, More:Voltage:Custom with Excitation

Task Name: _unnamedTask<1E>

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(947 Views)

Hi Phil,

@philperd17 wrote:

I tried to change input to sound pressure but I get an error: Error -200431

Possible Values: Current, Resistance, Strain Gage, Temperature:Built-in Sensor, Temperature:RTD, Temperature:Thermistor, Temperature:Thermocouple, Voltage,

How much more suggestions as was already given in this error message do you need?

Trying to messure "sound pressure" is not supported by your hardware, but reading plain voltage values is recommended…

Why do you think reading the same signal as "sound pressure" instead of "voltage" will reduce noise?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(985 Views)

Hello!

I am trying to detect sound waves using a mic, a preamplifier and a NI USB-6381 BNC DAQ.

Error -200431 occurred at DAQmx Create Channel (AI-Sound Pressure-Microphone) .vi: 6950001

Requested Value: Sound Pressure: Microphone
Possible Values: Current, Resistance, Strain Gage, Temperature: Built-in Sensor, Temperature: RTD, Temperature: Thermistor, Temperature: Thermocouple, Voltage, More: Voltage: Custom with Excitation

Task Name: _unnamedTask <1E>

Any ideas / suggestions are very very much appreciated!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(946 Views)

Hi Phil,

what's wrong with my answer you got several days ago that you need to start two more threads with the very same question?

Your hardware only supports the measurement types listed in this error message…

(Please don't create double posts/threads - that's considered rude behaviour!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(922 Views)