From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demonstration of DAQ VI

I have read the discussion on using LabVIEW viewer (or Runtime version) to run VIs with DAQ in them. From this it seems this cannot be done (NI this is disappointing).

so my question is how can overcome this and create a simulated version of the VI. I dont really want to spend the time simulating the signals coming into the DAQ card.

Has anyone using such DAQ based VIs come up with another solution to this problem (i am thinking of doing a screen cap when the VI is running).

Any suggestions?

Ross
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,201 Views)
Hi Ross@UL,

This question has come up a number of times, so let me share my thought on this subject.

1) NI-DAQ is HUGE and many people have asked for scaled down versions of DAQ. Simulation code would only make it larger.

2) What kind of signal should be simulated? I have customers that are watching reference voltages that only vary be uVolts per day. A simple constant could simulate this signal but this would disapoint the customer that are monitoring Bessel functions.

3) I build in simulators to almost all of my applications just to make it possible to test without having to drive to a customer site. Until recently (i.e. since 1GHz proccessors hit the streets) Attempts to simulate 120 channels at 1000Hz would take more CPU than what was left over by the ap
plicatoin!

4) What about errors? Should the simulator simulate buffer over-runs etc? Now the simulator would have to know the spec of the boards and system buss behaviour to decide if it should simulate an error.

So....

I can accept the fact that simulation is not built in.

I understand this is not what you wanted to hear, but, sometimes it is easier to accept pain if you know that there is a reason.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,201 Views)