LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decrease the size on screen of "bundle by name" with long element names

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a cluster with quite long element names, due to cluster in cluster in cluster... This is given by the project and I can't change names or cluster structures.

When I use "bundle by name" this gives me a very long element on the diagram and I would like to decrease this horizontal size. I don't need to see the hole element path the hole time, but you can't just size it down like a frontpanal element. The only way I can think of is to put in into a SubVI, but I don't like the idea of adding another VI to the project structure just to update two elements in a cluster...

Is there an easy way to decrease the size of this diagram element?

Unbenannt.PNG

Best regards

jusaca

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,299 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jusaca

Try "right-click...hide full names".

(... or just define shorter names from the beginning)

Message 2 of 6
(2,283 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Ahh, never knew that one. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,279 Views)

@jusaca wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Ahh, never knew that one. Thanks!

I didn't, either!  But your first solution is also quite viable -- there is nothing wrong with having a little sub-VI (which occupies at most 32x32 pixels on the Block Diagram) "hide" some inconvenient ("messy") code, particularly if you make an Icon for it so it "self-documents" when placed.  I might overdo it, but I find that I can walk someone through my code fairly quickly because almost all of my Block Diagrams (including, and especially, the Top Level Diagram) fit on a Laptop Screen.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,243 Views)

Remember that you can hide labels and show captions for front panel controls and indicators.  That way you can use and show a longer name that is meaningful for the user as a caption.  The label can be a much shorter, but still descriptive name that is meaningful to you as the programmer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,241 Views)

Trick also works in IPE structures.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,238 Views)