LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decorations automatically grouping with controls

I have a problem where, when creating a new type def decorations are behaving as if grouped with a control.

The control has a number of buttons and also has flat box decorations to provide visual grouping. After adding a few decorations it became apparant that they were all behaving as if grouped with one of the buttons. i.e. if I select that button, all the decorations are selected as well. However, if I select the decoration, the button does not get selected, only the decoration.

If I delete the control, the 'grouped' decoration gets deleted, however I can delete the decoration without the control being deleted.

The controls/decorations are not shown as being grouped (looking at the 'Reorder' dropdown). Grouping then ungrouping doesn't resolve the problem.

If I delete the control (and consequently the decoration) then add another decoration, it will automatically 'group' with another control in the type def.

I'm in the position where if I add decorations they all 'group' with a single control which means if I delete of move the control, all of the decorations are affected as well.

If I put all of the controls and decorations into a cluster the problem stops.

It has the feel of something to do with the tabbing order, but I can't see a way of checking/changing this unless controls are already in a cluster. 

The attached .ctl shows the described behaviour.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,148 Views)

I have a problem where, when creating a new type def, decorations are behaving as if grouped with a control.

The control has a number of buttons and also has flat box decorations to provide visual grouping. After adding a few decorations it became apparant that they were all behaving as if grouped with one of the buttons. i.e. if I select that button, all the decorations are selected as well. However, if I select the decoration, the button does not get selected, only the decoration.

If I delete the control, the 'grouped' decoration gets deleted, however I can delete the decoration without the control being deleted.

The controls/decorations are not shown as being grouped (looking at the 'Reorder' dropdown). Grouping then ungrouping doesn't resolve the problem.

If I delete the control (and consequently the decoration) then add another decoration, it will automatically 'group' with another control in the type def.

I'm in the position where if I add decorations they all 'group' with a single control which means if I delete of move the control, all of the decorations are affected as well.

If I put all of the controls and decorations into a cluster the problem stops.

It has the feel of something to do with the tabbing order, but I can't see a way of checking/changing this unless controls are already in a cluster. 

The attached .ctl shows the described behaviour.

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,159 Views)

Does this happen if you start over with a new control?  Or is it only with this one specific control?

I'm wondering if your control file is corrupted.  I opened it and saw what you were talking about.  Then when I hit the Restore button (because your windows filled my screen), the window just disappears.  It exists somewhere.  I still see it on the taskbar.  But it otherwise disappears.

It is odd that you have a cluster of two controls, and another two buttons on there.  That just won't work.  Get rid of those extra buttons.

(EDIT:  Okay.  I found it.  It was way off the right side of the screen.  I had to use old windows keyboard presses to activate the menu and move it.  Luckily I guessed right on the direction.)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,110 Views)

It happened again when I repeated with a new control. The new control is what I added to the post as it was a simplified version of the original.

Odd that the control filed the screen, it was saved with a small panel size.

In any case, I'm wondering if it's a quirk experienced because come of the controls/decorations didn't have a home. At the time they were floating in space rather than in a cluster or on a tab (which is where they would have ended up).

Perhaps the decorations need something to associate with and, in lieu of a 'parent' front panel, they associate with any available controls. It's only speculation but woudld explain the behaviour.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,101 Views)

Are you trying to create a control that is actually multiple controls?  That's what you had going on in your first CTL file.  You can't do that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,098 Views)