LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decimation for XY Graph - Timestamp

Hi to everybody. I would like to ask from you help to figure out what can be a good way to decimate data with uneven timestamps.

I have a 2D array where each row is data pair (Timestamp and Measurement) and I would like to decimate the data, I have done this in the past but with graph and Max Min Decimation, however I dont have a clear way to use the time factor for the decimation.

I will appreciate the help. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,307 Views)

You'll need to loop over the array. In a for loop, use a shift register and compare the timestamps with the previous value(s). Then you need to calculate which values are in the same "bin".

When you say XY data, is this really XY data? E.g. can the values go back in X direction? That would complicate things a lot. I've never done any decimation on real XY data. If the X values are sequential it's another story though.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,270 Views)

You didn't provided an example, nor did you tell us how you want the decimation to happen.

simple decimation by n is just take every n'th value (pair). 

How about using the interpolation vi? (or Fitting?)

for each new point (usually in x scale and usually evenly spaced) you want, grap all points nearby  (in the same bin) and fit a new point. 

How unevenly are they sampled?  

Hard to give a general answer...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,261 Views)

Hi Wiebe, Henrik. First, thanks for the answers, I am providing an example data set of the data to decimate.

The delta time is not precise and irregular, however this normally has a pattern; 10, 10, 20  seconds and repeat for example, however the time can jump a couple of hours in time intervals. I don´t have in mind a specific method to decimate the data but I would like to only show data blocks of near points and avoid to include points after the time jumps to organize the data and be easy to follow the order. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,236 Views)

You may want to  try the Resample Waveforms (single shot).vi

That VI is polymorphic and accepts XY data as input (just not Timestamp values so keep the X-array as DBL format).

The VI returns resampled data at constant dt intervals both as XY and waveform data.

billede.png

Note that the FIR resampling mode does not apply for XY data (it defaults to Linear interpolation). Try for example Linear and/or Spline interpolation methods with dt input values between 100 and 1000 sec.

Also note that due to the nature of your data (with discontinuities), the spline method will insert samples that are significantly 'undershoot' but if you ignore these you may still get relevant data.

billede.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,225 Views)

Actually in your specific case you can create a more advanced algorithm to solve your problem. Here is an example where I

1 - resampled your XY data using simple coercion to give me a evenly spaced waveform with a high sample rate (dt = 10)

2 - applied a smooth lowpass filtering to your signal

3 - decimated more than 100 times (dt = 1000)

billede.png

I could have used a FIR Filter based resampling instead of independent lowpass filtering an resampling, but that would give more overshoot and ringing around your discontinuity points.

billede.png

Just some ideas...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,212 Views)