cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database connectivity toolkit broken vi's

Solved!
Go to solution

hello all,

I upgraded from LV 8.5 to 8.6 (windows XP platform) a couple of weeks ago and have had no issues until today when all of sudden my Database toolkit vi's are coming up broken, with: "One or more required inputs to this function are not wired or are wired incorrectly. Show the Context Help window to see what the connections to this function should be." errors however this is not happening on all my vi's using objects from the tool kit.

Actions taken to date with no success:

1. mass compile of all my vi's

2. mass compile of database toolkit

3. re install Database toolkit

4. mass compile the vi.lib directory

5. as per the old knowladge base article Document ID: 2RO7J544, ensured latest microsoft MDAC is installed.

Any help is appreciated as we use this toolkit extensivly.

thanks

Chris

CLAD

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,717 Views)
I will be upgrading to 8.6 (Planned for january) and also use the db toolkit extensivly.  Is this a known issue?  I have many active projects and cant afford such an issue.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 2 of 6
(4,713 Views)

Hi Chris and Paul

Thanks for the posts and I hope your well.

This sounds like the VIs have been 'updated' with some of the inputs becoming required in-order to run. Whereas in LabVIEW 8.5 these did not require an input - they just default to whatever type the inputs are (i.e. Numeric = 0). These sutle changes do happen from time to time.

If you look at one of the VIs that is broken - look at the context help, are any of the inputs in bold? this means they are required. I wondering if you check the same VI in LabVIEW 8.5 is one of them isn't in bold?

However, just re-reading your post, my advice was for your VIs written in LabVIEW 8.5 and then opening them in LabVIEW 8.6. If you indeed meant the actual VIs from the Database toolkit are broken, then I will need to look into this some more also.  

If you could please provide the details of which VIs you are seeing the issue with I can look into them some more tomorrow when I am in the office.

I hope this helps,  

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
Message 3 of 6
(4,695 Views)

James,

Thanks for the quick response,  the issue is actually in the toolkit library for example DB tools execute query.vi errors out says that it has a missing connection.  if you look in the JPG it turns out if I add a constant to options in the connection node it clears the error.  But I dont think hard coding it to 0 seems like the correct solution?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,686 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NPI_Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply and I hope your well.

I need to try to understand something, when you say upgrade to LabVIEW 8.6 did you upgrade the toolkit?

LabVIEW Database Connectivity Toolkit 1.0.2 is for LabVIEW 8.6. If, on the other hand your trying to use LabVIEW 8.6 with DC Toolkit 1.0.1 then I beleive they are not offically compatible. However, these KnowledgeBase links maybe of interest: (after all they are just VIs). However, saying this - if you read the readme for the new toolkit several things have changed for LabVIEW 8.6 - so becareful. 

You will have to manually copy all the files over from one version of LabVIEW to another. Use the following instructions to accomplish this:

1. Install the Database Connectivity Toolset to the lowest version of LabVIEW, say X.
  2. Copy the following files/directories to the appropriate directories in the later version of LabVIEW, say Y.

• Copy the database directory from \LabVIEW X\vi.lib\addons\ to \LabVIEW Y\vi.lib\addons\
    • Copy the database.llb file from \LabVIEW X\project\ to \LabVIEW Y\project\
    • Copy the database directory from \LabVIEW X\examples\ to \LabVIEW Y\examples\

OR also check this out,

Installing Toolkits for Use with Multiple Versions of LabVIEW:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/58BE852CB35237C786256A290079DF39?OpenDocument

Other issues you may have come across,

Database Connectivity Toolset Claims the Polymorphic SubVI's are Broken

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0FA97221637E74CA86256C7C005069A5?OpenDocument

"Updating to the most recent MDAC will resolve this issue"

I would also check that you Installed the tookit for LabVIEW 8.6 - toolkits are now specific for labVIEW 8.6. So maybe try re-installing and the toolkit for LV8.6.

Hope this helps and please let me know (please clarify a little more),

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
Message 5 of 6
(4,649 Views)

James,

Thanks for the help, I think its all working now 🙂

It appears that in some of my VI's not all of the DC vi's were converted up to the new toolkit.  It appears that basically there was a combination of 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 vi's being used inside the same app.  Not sure how that happened but all seems to be working now that I replaced them

Thanks for the help 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,634 Views)