From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Connectivity Toolkit : How do I store RTF( Rich text files) into a database?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am new to database concepts. I am developing a simple LabVIEW application that stores the user data inside the MySQL database. I have an activeX container that acts as a Rich Text Box. The RTBox allows user to paste contents into it. I understand that the DB should have a column with the datatype 'varbinary(MAX)' to store the RTF file. But how can I send the contents from the RichTextBox to the database directly?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,856 Views)

I don't think varbinary is necessary.  You should be able to store it as a text string.

Example_VI_BD.png

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,835 Views)

But the text string has a character limit and it might truncate the string after the limit. wouldn't it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,832 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author OpenAI

I'm not sure what text string you are talking about that has a limit. MSSQL has a varchar(MAX) that used to be limited to 2GB in older versions, higher values in newer versions.  There is also a TEXT and a BLOB column type that overcomes row size limitations.  How big a' file are ya lookin' at?  (For some reason, I just thought of Roy D. Mercer and had to write it that way.)  Smiley Very Happy

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,827 Views)

The RTF text from the textbox has a lot of rtf characters and it doesn't get stored as text in the SQL DB

Here's the rtf text:

{\rtf1\fbidis\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fprq2\fcharset0 Calibri;}{\f1\fnil\fcharset0 Microsoft Sans Serif;}}
{\colortbl ;\red128\green128\blue128;}
\viewkind4\uc1\trowd\trgaph108\trleft-108\trbrdrt\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrl\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrb\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrr\brdrs\brdrw10 \clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx5310\clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx10890\pard\intbl\ltrpar\sl276\slmult1\b\f0\fs22 Test Requestor\b0\cell Luke Skywalker\cell\row\b\trowd\trgaph108\trleft-108\trbrdrt\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrl\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrb\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrr\brdrs\brdrw10 \clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx5310\clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx10890\intbl Test Owner\b0  \cf1 (if different than Requestor)\cf0\cell\cell\row
\b\trowd\trgaph108\trleft-108\trbrdrt\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrl\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrb\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrr\brdrs\brdrw10 \clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx5310\clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx10890\intbl Department\b0\cell Process Development\cell\row
\b\trowd\trgaph108\trleft-108\trbrdrt\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrl\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrb\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrr\brdrs\brdrw10 \clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx5310\clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx10890\intbl Test Request Submission Date\b0\cell May 18, 2017\cell\row
\b\trowd\trgaph108\trleft-108\trbrdrt\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrl\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrb\brdrs\brdrw10 \trbrdrr\brdrs\brdrw10 \clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx5310\clbrdrt\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrl\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrb\brdrw15\brdrs\clbrdrr\brdrw15\brdrs \cellx10890\intbl Preferred Start Date\b0\cell May 19, 2017\cell\row
\pard\ltrpar\f1\fs17\par
}

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,818 Views)

You may have to escape all of those backslashes before writing it to the dB. There is a Hidden Gem for escaping characters.

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,815 Views)

But without those backslash characters, I cannot recreate the RTF file back again right? The data is a table containing the rows and columns. So when I retrieve it back from the DB, I need to be able to produce the same data in the tabular format.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,811 Views)

So when you query the data out, unescape the backslashes.  What data type are you using in the database?

aputman
------------------
Message 8 of 10
(4,809 Views)

Just to be clear, escaping the \ character doesn't take it out. It replaces it with a \\ so that, for instance, a \n is not replaced with a new line. 

Please post your code and I can take a look at it tomorrow.

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,806 Views)

@aputman wrote:

So when you query the data out, unescape the backslashes.  What data type are you using in the database?

I use varchar(MAX) datatype. I used the Hidden Gems library to escape and unescape the backslashes and it works perfect. Thanks. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,746 Views)