LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Acquisition without the NI-DAQ

I have a few queries regarding my beginner programming knowledge. I am a month old with LabView and my task is to acquire data from 1or more  oscilloscopes, Temperature amp, Acceleration sensors and further more. I have to create a Data Acquisition program which gives me an output as I have mentioned below in one of the attachments. 
For this I do not have funding to purchase NI-USB which uses NI-DAQ which teaches me how to solve the above easily. I tried building a program with the resources I have and I need some reviews about the same. The program does not show an errors but when I run it it does not give me any values. What am I missing. Please help me. 
I am still learning so I do not mind if you state some obvious mistakes in the program or correct me. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,513 Views)

There is lots of information missing here. Exactly what hardware are you trying to connect, and how is that hardware connected to your computer? What protocols, drivers, etc?

You do not have to use DAQmx, but you are not going receive data by telepathy... 😃

There are other issues with your vi, but start by answering those questions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,487 Views)

Thank you for your reply. 
The devices that I use are Picoscope Oscilloscope 4227 and Temperature Amplifier TC-08. For now I am working on the oscilloscope and it is connected through a USB. I also have a program that I am working on which was implemented before. That program gives the time and voltage values for the two channels of the picoscope. Now I need to include the other data as I mentioned earlier.

How and where would I know about the protocols and drivers? 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,464 Views)

@shruthimn08 wrote:

How and where would I know about the protocols and drivers? 

By contacting the manufacturer of the devices you are trying to connect.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,459 Views)

Hello RavensFan. I have a data sheet of the device I am using. The driver will run on a 64 bit operating system, the driver itself is 32 bit, and therefore will run as 32 bit.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,448 Views)

This really doesn't talk about the driver or how you access it with a program.  It just talks about it being USB and the programs they provide.

Do they provide any more advanced manuals such as one called a "communication reference"?

Do you have this device already and have you installed the driver and plugged it in?

Most USB devices have drivers that cause it to appear within Windows Device Manager as a virtual serial port.  It will give it a com number.  If so, you can use VISA to open up the com port and communicate with it.  But what commands you send and what the response it sends back is all stuff that is detailed in the user manual, or sometimes a more advanced user manual that they should provide.

Your subject line talks about NI-DAQ.  That doesn't apply to you unless you are using a National Instruments DAQ device.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,440 Views)

I do have the device and I am using it to understand and test the previously attached VI. In the website for the oscilloscope, they provide the sdk but nothing more.  My subject line does not talk specifically about NI-DAQ but an alternative program without NI_DAQ for data acqusition.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,427 Views)

You'll need to look through their SDK.  If it tells you how to program in other languages, you can figure out how to program it in LabVIEW.

You did mention NI-DAQ in your subject line.  Okay, technically you said "without the NI-DAQ", but that is still talking about it.  Bringing it up at all for something that has nothing to do with NI devices just added confusion.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,421 Views)

Hi shruthimn08,

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I didn't see any mention of the support that pico Technology has for LabVIEW in this discussion.  Have you seen this:

https://www.picotech.com/support/forum20.html

Or this:

https://www.picotech.com/support/topic15211.html?sid=25c7eb8530c83bbf2f63cc61183a52fe

It looks like they actually have some documentation on how to use their hardware with LabVIEW.  I bet you may have some luck if you look through the content at that link.

Regards,

G-IV

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,408 Views)

Hello RavensFan. 

Yes I will start by looking into the SDK and examples. Also I agree with the title confusion. I will edit that. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,386 Views)