LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 07/03/2006

Sweet!  An actual convert!  Ok, here are my comments on your comments:

1.  You're using LabVIEW 7.1.  I don't have any empirical evidence, but it *seems* to me that the Auto Tool's behavior becomes more refined with every release.  You'd think I'd have a better handle on specifics, being in LabVIEW R&D and all, but alas, my areas of esoteric knowledge apply elsewhere.

2.  I agree that it would be nice to wire to the top/bottom of locals, constants, etc.  Sounds like you need to make a visit to the Product Suggestion Center😉

3.  Regarding the sizing of cluster constants, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that this issue will in some way be addressed in a future LabVIEW version.  😉

4.  I already have two 19" monitors.  I think a 3rd would be nice, although I'm not sure where I would put it.  As for my resolution, people make fun of me because I run 1024x768.  Even my own teammates.  Then again, I'm the only guy on my team who doesn't need glasses.  I'd like to keep it that way.  🙂

5.  I've never noticed issues when wiring to the corners of wires...probably because I've never tried it.  Generally I wire to the horizontal or vertical portion of the wire on either side of the bend.

6.  I also have never noticed the control -> connector wiring issue.  I would *almost* consider this a bug.  If you agree strongly enough, file a bug report through the standard support channels...seems like something that could be changed.

7.  Although I am a fierce advocate of the Auto Tool, I despise Auto Tool locking.  I have Auto Tool locking turned off, so when I need a custom tool (95% of the time it's the paintbrush tool), I can tab to it, then I shift-right click to bring up the Tools palette so I can turn the Auto Tool back on (by clicking the green light in the Tools palette) once I'm done.

In summary, I'm glad you're using the Auto Tool.  I think another reason I enjoy the Auto Tool is that I can type pretty well with just my left hand, so when I need to rename a control, or type a short comment, my right hand never leaves the mouse, and my left hand isn't shackled to the Tab key.  Good stuff.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 31
(2,344 Views)
I like your nuggets, Darren (thanks!) but my old habits die hard. I really gave this a shot, but after one day I reverted back to manual tool. I've been coding in LV since '96 (10 YEARS?!?!?!) I don't see how it can be any faster if I'm a two-handed programmer, anyway. And I'll bet I'm faster two-handed with manual tools than you are single-handed with Auto Tool. Smiley Happy

PaulG.
XP
PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 22 of 31
(2,348 Views)

You may want to rethink that bet, Paul.  You know they call me Wireslinger around these parts?

Well...not really, but they should.  😉

-D

Message 23 of 31
(2,347 Views)
Darren wrote;

"You know they call me Wireslinger around these parts?"

And I guess you did not participate in the "code-off" last year at NI-Week just to cut us a break. Smiley Happy

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 24 of 31
(2,343 Views)

Come on, Ben...you know better than that.  Those conspiracy nuts over at LAVA would have flipped out over a coding competition that an NI employee just so happened to win.  😉

-D

Message 25 of 31
(2,330 Views)
Dictionary Challenge

"tag you are it."  Smiley Wink

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 26 of 31
(2,300 Views)
Darren wrote:
Those conspiracy nuts over at LAVA...

Hey!  I resemble that remark!

Message Edited by crelf on 07-22-2006 09:34 AM

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
Message 27 of 31
(2,295 Views)
I was very impressed with the Auto-tool since it first came out.   It almost always knows what I want it to do.  The only time it's a little flaky is when you have a very dense block diagram...it sometimes connects things I don't want it to!  But that's usually an indication it's time to get some alignment tools out and clean up my diagram.  If I lay things out well, the Auto-tool is much better behaved.

Eric
Eric P. Nichols
P.O. Box 56235
North Pole, AK 99705
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 31
(2,280 Views)
Darren,

You mention bringing up the palette to switch back to the Auto Tool.  Can't you just hit Shift-Tab?  I use Shift-Tab to turn the tool off and on.  Other than this, I was suprised/excited to find that I use the Auto Tool exactly as you do, and for the exact same reasons.

Jaegen
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 31
(2,171 Views)

To auto, or not to auto??

That's the question! Smiley Wink

Reading all your posts, probably will give it a shot, one of these days

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 31
(2,163 Views)