LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx Samples to Read Slowing Spreadsheet Write?

I know I don't understand something here but I'm trying to figure out what piece I'm missing. Im writing a producer/consumer loop to log thermocouple measurements from an NI9210/compact DAQ. I want to read data as fast as it's available from the hardware (2 samples/sec IIRC) and write it to a spreadsheet. 

My VI is as pictured, but whenever I set the "Samples to Read" on the DAQmx read to -1 (read whatever is in the buffer, not a specific number, correct?) and I run the VI for 10-15 seconds I only get 1 sample logged. If I set "Samples to Read" to 1 or 2, then I get approximately 15 data points, which is what I would expect for how long I run it. 

Obviously setting to 1 or 2 works, but I don't understand what's wrong with setting it to -1, as that is the default that should do what I want, right? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(657 Views)

I would advise against using the Write To Delimited File.  It is constantly opening and closing the file.  Instead, use the File I/O API to create the file before the loop, write your header (still before the loop), write the data inside of the loop, and close the file after the loop.

I am also suspicious because your file header is showing 2 channels, but you are only reading 1 channel (1Chan NSamp).  How many channels should you be reading from?

Finally, with the rate you are reading data (500ms per sample is extremely slow to a computer), I would not use a Producer/Consumer here.  It can all be in 1 loop.  This will make things a lot simpler for you.  I would also just read 1 sample at a time using the NChan 1Samp (assuming you have multiple channels) option for the DAQmx Read.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(623 Views)