LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ input / output device compatibility.

Solved!
Go to solution

I am working on a college Mechatronics control project. As my Labview knowledge is basic I aim to make it as basic as possible. Plan is to control the irrigation of a house plant connecting a moisture sensor through DAQ to my VI and based on the moisture level output to a water pump to irrigate the plant in a controlled manner. I have watched different methods of doing this on the NI site and elsewhere. I'm still not sure how to do this but my alternatives are:

A. Purchase a DAQ and connect a moisture sensor in and pump out.

B. Use and Arduino, configure it in place of DAQ and configure it to a Labview VI.

Or is there another way which will work without costing a fortune? As cost is a concern I would prefer to but compatible refurbed or second hand hardware where possible.

My real questions are:

Can I see a list of hardware manufacturers for third part sensors, pumps etc that are compatible with a DAQ, either National Instruments or third party. 

Can you please recommend a website where I can purchase refurbed or second hand DAQs, either National Instruments or third party.

I don't want to buy hardware to find out later that it's not compatible.

Thanks in advance,

Tony 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,853 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GreennRed

Most DAQs work on a -10V to +10V maximum scale.  Many will also work on smaller scales.  So you will just need to find a sensor that can output a voltage within the range.  You have similar requirements for the pump.

Once you find the sensor and pump, then we can start talking about what DAQ to buy.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(2,831 Views)

Thanks Crossrulz. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,824 Views)

As you are a student in an Engineering Program, see if your department has any NI USB DAQ devices (USB-600x).  Alternatively, you should be able to purchase a myDAQ (student prices are surprisingly affordable, and some of the better Engineering programs require their student to purchase them -- it provides the students with their own Power Supply, Waveform Generator, Oscilloscope, VOM, etc. -- just add Laptop + LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 5
(2,784 Views)

Thanks Bob.

Good advice. I'm still undecided on DAQ v Arduino for my project and will use Labview for either, for my project. Ease of setting up will outweigh any saving on cost as I need time to concentrate on other subjects.

Regards,

Tony

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,776 Views)