From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need VI for Physik Instrument linear actuator M - 238 5 PL

I want to use LabVIEW for linear actuator made by Physik instrument model no M-238.5PL

I have their PCI express card model C843.41 which has 

I am very new to LabVIEW. Please suggest some VI. I am attaching manual where they have given input/output information. I have also attached the datasheet.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,163 Views)

Hi,

What do you want to implement with ?

I think it really depend on what type of control or command do you want to implement.

In your User Manuel, you have many way to command your actuator. Choose one (depending of your application) and find example in LabVIEW (Help>>Find Examples...).

Regards,

Fred.

Kudos are welcome!Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,157 Views)

The user manual says:

"PI provides software and/or drivers that run on the host PC to control the system. Typically, there will be a control program with a graphic user interface for testing and simple operation, and, in addition, DLL, COM and/or LabView drivers for users who wish to use custom software. If the controller is a PC ISA or PCI card, there will also be hardware drivers to install. See the controller user and software manuals for installation details."

So, contacting PI would be your starting point.

Message 3 of 10
(3,128 Views)

Thank you gregoreyj for the input. I have their software and that is working perfectly. But to integrate it with other machines I have to use LabVIEW.

I have tried to make a VI by using their own sets (Attaching picture) but every time I give some velocity and position value, the actuator is going to middle position, moving little left and right, then only it is going to set position value.

Best Regards

M S Khod

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,116 Views)

Try it without the while loop. The way you are running it right now, it is trying to send commands as fast as possible in a loop, which is probably faster than your device can handle.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,106 Views)

I tried using a while loop and for loop and without any loop but the problem remains as it is. 

The advantage of using while loop is that it configures the main VI once and I can put the position value in the while loop without stopping. So that problem is solved for the time being. 

I am not able to put Sine input as a position. When I give sine input it gives discrete motion in small steps 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,069 Views)

Well I'm afraid that's all the advice I can give. Hopefully someone with knowledge of that hardware sees this and has some suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,061 Views)

My company just bought a few different stages from them, and I made a quick VI this week to allow us to start messing around with them. We don't have the exact stage you are using, but I noticed that the code for each one is pretty much the same. Like I said this is something I just threw together real fast to allow us to start using them. The code is going to be far from perfect, but should give you an idea of how to program them.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,055 Views)
Dear sir/madam, Thank you for the msg. I am using Labview 2014 and you have given me 2017 file so i could not run. Can you kindly share the picture of the control panal ? Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,779 Views)

Hi,

If I try to give simulated triangle signal array to MOVE vi, it takes one value, move and stop before taking another value. This is creating step by step motion than a smooth continuous move. Due to this I am not able to match the SET frequency in the signal simulator and motion frequency. Also no of points generated in a cycle is only 100. If I try to simulate more samples it add them to next cycle. 

Is there any way by which I can get a smooth motion?

I appreciate your patience in reading my long msg.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,697 Views)