LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ grounding

Baran, consider using an opto-isolator! Many of these provide for a 600-1500 volt isolation between the input and output refeances (grounds)

Using differential inputs does not help you!  The 6009 has input protection circuitry to prevent damage to the device if the voltage applied to any input is greater than x volts from the device referance.  You will damage the device if any voltage greater than the device specified voltage is applied. If the device ia an human this may cause pain or (HENCE the term "Ole Sparky") death, in electronic devices it merely breaks them.

In Short- you need a circuit to provide signal isolation from the "high-side" to the "metering side" of your system.

Glad to help!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 11 of 14
(545 Views)

I was thinking of using opto-isolator. But if my low-voltage circuit is connected to computer chassis; which is connected to my high voltage ground; then my two grounds are connected anyway; unless there would be an opto isolator between DAQ and computer.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(537 Views)

@Baran wrote:

I was thinking of using opto-isolator. But if my low-voltage circuit is connected to computer chassis; which is connected to my high voltage ground; then my two grounds are connected anyway; unless there would be an opto isolator between DAQ and computer.

Well, That is the differance between "on paper" and "practical solution."

The engineers that know this, get paid wellSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 13 of 14
(533 Views)

Excuse me, Even Deejay, but your comment is not only wrong, it's dangerously wrong.  There are several ways for electricity to damage humans.  Whether electricity kills depends on many factors.  It's not "just voltage," and not "just current."

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(487 Views)