cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing a tab control

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am trying to customize some controls appearances for my application, and have been going through some of the UI custom themes on the NI website.

I'm now stuck at the tab control - when I open up Control Editor and add a tab control, and then go to "Customize Mode", I am not able to get the typical menu if I right-click the tab control. The typical menu for other controls include options to "Import Picture from Clipboard", "Import from File",etc.

After which I looked at the UI custom themes from the NI website again, such as the Metallic Theme and NI Theme, and realise they do not have the tab control as well.

A search on the forums also revealed a thread here, dating from quite a few years back, about not able to use the tab control as a customized control. 

Thus my quesstion is, is the tab control still not able to be used as a customized control? And is there a workaround?

Best regards,

Victor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,313 Views)

Have you seen this? I know you can't use it now but maybe the author will release the code one day 😮

Maybe you don't want to go that far for your application... I don't think the possibilities of customization for tabs are huge.

Good luck!

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,306 Views)

Hi Victor,

May I know what you are trying to achieve by customizing the tab control? If it is for setting up a type def control then yes this can be achieved in LabVIEW 2010 and 2011. What version of LV are you using right now? However, the options together with "Import Picture..." are still not accessible when customizing the tab control. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Gerrald Mateo
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,268 Views)

Hi Titou, thanks for the link! But for my application I just need to customize the appearance of the tab control. But what you show is an interesting application. 😉

Hi Gerrald, yes I am using LabVIEW 2010. Is there a workaround for importing graphics for a tab control typedef?

Best regards,

Victor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,245 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VLg

It works fine for me in 2011.

The method I use is to drop the tab control on the front panel.

Make it a typedef

Click EDIT>IMPORT IMAGE TO CLIPBOARD

Import the image we want for the tab

Then right click on the tab of interest

ADVANCED>TAB LAYOUT>IMAGE ONLY

Then right click on the tab again

ADVANCED>TAB LAYOUT>IMPORT IMAGE FROM CLIPBOARD

If this method doesn't work for you, please let me know and I will see if I can get access to a 2010 machine to try it myself.

Regards,

Steve

Stephen C
Applications Engineer
Message 5 of 8
(7,236 Views)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. I was able to do what you described for both 2010 and 2011 so i think this should be fine. It adds the image onto the tab label sort of like a logo but it does not change the tab appearance itself.

Hi Victor,

Is this the result that you are trying to achieve for your application?

Best Regards,
Gerrald Mateo
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,227 Views)

Sorry if this is a distraction but I posted a hacked up tab control in this thread (see post # 25). Here is a preview.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 7 of 8
(7,222 Views)

Hi Stephen and Gerrald,

Sorry I was caught up with plenty of things and didn't manage to check the forum until today.

Yes the method you suggested is what I want to do - I've tried them out and it works in 2010. Thanks 🙂

I am also intending to customize the tab body, so probably I'll place a graphic for the tab body itself like what Ben did in his post (thanks Ben!), or just make the tab control transparent and drop a graphic onto the front panel as background.

Thanks again everyone. 🙂

Best regards,

Victor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,168 Views)