From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom installer .exe file missing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have made a VI that uses NI-VISA communication, and initially had a problem getting the ports to display on the .exe files I was building directly from the VI (Build Application (EXE) from VI), so I built an installer including the NI-VISA Run-time engine to run on the target computer. The directory in the installer said the VI should have been installed in C:Program Files(x86)>Dial_Gauge_VI, but when I go to this location, there is nothing inside of the folder that was created. I tried to run the setup again, but it said it was not adding or removing any additional pieces, so it didn't do anything. I've never used the installer builder before, so it is very likely that I set it up incorrectly somehow. Is anyone more trained on this who could help?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,310 Views)

It is usually a two step build process.

1.  Build the executable.

2.  Build the installer that includes the executable and any other installers you need (like VISA).

Did you include the exectuable from #1 in the the installer for #2?

Message 2 of 6
(4,308 Views)

I have built the executable, but I'm unaware of how to include it in the installer. 

Capture.JPG

I would think it should be here, but the .exe is grayed out and I can't select it. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,292 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author try_guy90

If you click on Dial_Gauge_VI3 above the highlighted area in your picture the Blue arrow between teh 'Project Files View' and 'Destination View' will be enabled.  Click this blue arrow to add it to the installer

Ken

Message 4 of 6
(4,271 Views)

Duh. Thanks, that worked!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,268 Views)

I think once you buld the .exe, you have to add that file to the project tree.

Perhaps it was there at one time, and showed up in the installer's properties, but is now no longer in the project which is why it is not currently selectable.

In one of my project trees, I have a folder called "Build Files".  Under it I have the exe added as well as a couple of ini files that I want to be sure get installed with the app.  When I expand "My Computer" on that dialog box, I can see the Build Files folder, then the executable under that.

My drop down under Build Specs looks just like yours with those items grayed out.  I'm not sure why those things show up there if you can't select them.  It is kind of confusing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,260 Views)