From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Device Creation

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to create a custom device which makes it easy for a user to configure many digital output channels. My device currently initializes in VeriStand without any issues. I have a heirarchical design with an "Output Module 1" folder containing 32 channels. I have added the propeties Output Mode (U16) and Enable State (Boolean) to each channel. The problem is that I don't know how to set the values of these properties in the LabView design. I have tried using the Set Item Property VI to write a new value to each property without any luck. I have tried various other VIs too, but none seem set the value of the property. I get a response from changing the values on the "front panel" page in VeriStand's system explorer, but when I click on a channel to look at the properties, nothing has changed.

I followed NI's step by step custom device guide http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372846J-01/veristandmerge/cust_device_overview/.

My hunch is that my unfamiliarity with node pointers is causing me trouble. Does anybody have some insight into this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,037 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MitchD319

Hi MitchD319,

If I understand your question correctly, the following resource should be helpful:

Adding Custom Device Item Properties

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372846J-01/veristandmerge/adding_cd_properties/

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,967 Views)

Sorry for the late reply. It turns out that I wasn't understanding pointer nodes correctly. In the initialization code the node refers to channels. I was trying to use the reference as input to the channel parent and then use feed the children reference to the channels.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,878 Views)