From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating standalone exe from vi with external dll fails

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello,
I am working with Labview 2012 and a dll from Intan Technologies which provides a way to access their hardware.
Everything works fine in Labview environment, but when I create an exe (dll included) and try to start the program I get no response from the hardware.

Any clues?
Need more info?
Please assist.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,332 Views)

Hey,

It  means your DLL is not loaded (You need to properly specify the location).

Please refer this doc: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/862567530005F09C862565C50068363D

Message 2 of 6
(3,326 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SSTBRG

Any errors that help to localize problem? Do you clean errors after dll or you would see them if they appeared?

If main dll was not found, you would get "give me the dll" dialog. 

It looks more like dependent dll was not found. LabVIEW puts dll that it calls into data folder, and dependents get disconnected. 

Where is Intan dll located? If it is in the Intan installation folder, then specify path for DLL on block diagram.

In some cases manufacturer provides a number of dlls that should be next to each other. You can specify that folder (including main dll that you call) in always included section.

Try to remove main dll from executable data folder, when it pops up dialog, navigate to original location. If it works, then it is dll location problem. If it does not, it can be anything from configuration problem to firewall blocking execution

Message 3 of 6
(3,292 Views)

Hi,

DLL is located in the data folder inside my generated exe's folder.

The error I get from the error loop is this:

Intan RHD2000.lvlib:Error Converter (ErrCode or Status).vi<ERR>
The requested system device cannot be found.

That is it cannot connect to the board.

I don't get any dialogs asking me for the path to the DLL.

I have a feeling that the DLL simply doesn't load and all I'm left with are the VI's controls.

Alexander, I followed your advice and pointed the location to Intan's directory after removing the DLL.

It seems to work. Now need to figure out what was lacking during the build.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,259 Views)

So I managed to isolate the files which the generated EXE is dependent on.

Among the files is a 'bit' file which by the looks of it is loaded into the FPGA on board upon launching (my question to the developers would be - where is the PROM?).

In any case, how do I specify the dependencies manually in the Vi-to-Exe tool's dialog ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,255 Views)

You have

Source Files page to specify startup and always included files (*1)

Destinations page to specify locations list (*2), support and main library (exe) are there by default

Source Files Settings page to set location from the list (*2) of the "always included file" (*1)

Message 6 of 6
(3,206 Views)