From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create From Data Type when scripting crashes LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

When using scripting (LV2010) if I call the Create from Data Type method (available in invoke node when a reference to the BD is wired), if I wire anything but 1 up to the "style" terminal, it crashes LabVIEW. LabVIEW then restarts with a error saying that "The last time you ran LabVIEW an internal error or crash occured at lvmain.cpp, line 1756". If I wire 1 however, it creates a constant fine.         

I see in the context help that it always creates a control initially but it seems I can only get it to create a constant. So then I decided ok, work around, create the constant, take the new object refnum it returns and from there change the constant into a control...but I can't get this to work either. Can someone point me in the correct direction? Here is the code and screenshot; it's a quickdrop plugin.

it is meant to execute on a cluster that is being viewed as an icon if you want to test it you will need to create that.

I submitted it with the "style" value set to 0 so if you don't want LabVIEW to crash, set it to 1.

Download All
Message 1 of 4
(3,643 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GregFreeman

No time for in-depth exploration now.  Create from Datatype also killed my LV10.  What I was able to do after creating a cluster constant, viewing it as icon and selecting it.  (1) With scripting, create a New VI and paste the constant to the diagram (2) Cast the pasted objected to ClusterConstant and Change to Control. 

I think I know where you are heading, should be interesting.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,622 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

No time for in-depth exploration now.  Create from Datatype also killed my LV10.  What I was able to do after creating a cluster constant, viewing it as icon and selecting it.  (1) With scripting, create a New VI and paste the constant to the diagram (2) Cast the pasted objected to ClusterConstant and Change to Control. 

I think I know where you are heading, should be interesting.

hint * idea exchange

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,614 Views)

A workaround to your issue is to use the Change To Control method on the new constant you just created using Style = 1.  I have submitted CAR#247236 on the issue to R&D.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,578 Views)