LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash when starting a performance/memory profile

I'm having a catastrophic crash when I hit the 'Start' button in the Profile -> Performance and Memory... dialog. There is no error message whatsoever, and when I restart Labview, it only asks me about files to recover, it doesn't tell me where it crashed (i.e. somefile.cpp line ###). Well, it might have told me once, but now it doesn't, so unless there is a log of these things somewhere, I can't say much more.

I'm using Labview 2009, and I'm having the exact same issue on at least 2 machines which are fairly different (Win XP 32 bit vs Win7 64 bit (with Labview 32 bit)).

The application is pretty large (~1500 vi's), so it's kind of hard to tell what is making it crash.

The problem can be replicated in different ways:

1) Load main VI which loads all the VI's in memory

2) Start Performance/Memory profile *crash*

1) Load VI

2) Start VI (runs in a loop)

3) Start Performance/Memory profile while it runs *crash*

1) Start Performance/Memory profile

2) Some NI VI's show up in the list with '0' time everywhere

3) Load VI

4) Execute VI

5) Stop execution of VI *crash*

Any clues? Is there a log somewhere that could help me/you find the issue?

I could spend all day trying to load different parts of the project and look for problems, but I have no idea what to look for.

Last Friday I had successfully profiled what I wanted to, then I had another crash... Oh I remember now... I did a 'Search' in my project, looked for a particular string, and it crashed after a while in the middle of the search. Since then I was unable to use the profile tool. Could it be some data corruption? We use SourceSafe... so I wouldn't be surprised if it gave me a corrupted file 😛 If so, how could I find it?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,895 Views)

Samapico,

The error logs are mentioned in the following KnowledgeBase Article.

It does sound like some sort of data corruption after reading "since then Iwas unable to use the profile tool". Having the error logs could help debug this issue. 

<Joel Khan | Applications Engineering | National Instruments | Rice University BSEE> 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,869 Views)

Hi Joel,

I found and reported an issue with the addons (like DB etc) causing this crash. Figure out if tht bug has been fixed yet.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,865 Views)

Well... there is not a single log in that folder. Help -> Investigate internal error... doesn't list anything either.

As I said, I don't even get a 'Investigate error...' when I start LabView after such a crash.

I even checked the Event Viewer in Administrative Tools, and there's nothing in any category (Application, System, etc.)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,859 Views)

And... how can I check if I have add-ons installed? Just to see if it can have anything to do with the issue you mentionned...

It's still crashing 😕 still no log at all

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,813 Views)

Hey Samapico,

I actually found an incident like yours involving the performance and memory tool crashing when used for specific VIs which were very large. How big (in terms of filesize) is your VI?

R&D found this issue in LV 2009 and fixed it in 2010 under Corrective Action Request 215410. 

Is there any way you could try and test your issue out on a machine with LV 2010?

<Joel Khan | Applications Engineering | National Instruments | Rice University BSEE> 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,797 Views)

Ben,

I couldnt find any CARs on an issue that involved Database Toolkit and the Performance and memory tool.

Do you have a CAR #?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,796 Views)

Samapico,

Also, if you want to check to see what toolkits you have installed you can go to Measurement & Automation Explorer and look under the software tree in the left pane. Under here you could get an idea of what toolkits you have associated to LV like the Database Connectivity Toolkit for instance.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,794 Views)

I do have the Database connectivity toolkit and the Internet toolkit.

I don't think I need them in this project, I'll try to disable them, see if it helps.

I actually don't even know which VI causes the crash, since my project contains over 1000 vi's. But I don't think any of them would be particularly large in terms of filesize.

Only 2 VI's are larger than 1MB (1311 KB and 1174 KB)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,784 Views)

Oh well... it still crashes...

It doesn't matter as much anymore, though, since I found the culprit I was looking for and fixed it. But the profile tool can always be useful 😕

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,774 Views)