cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't open the block diagram

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear All, 

Yesterday i was working on my VI, its working fine. But, when i am opening same vi today, i couldn't open my block diagram. I have tried such ways that, open the Vi from another project library, WO project library, but still no response. i have searched in forum also, i didn't find any solution. please help me about this. i have attached my Vi and version is 14 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,155 Views)

Hi azadplc,

when there is no block diagram in the VI then you cannot open it!

Somehow you managed to remove the block diagram…

The solution is very easy: get an older version of the VI from your SCC repository! You don't use any SCC tool like SVN or Github? Shame on you!

Then you should take the next easy solution: get an older copy of your VI from your backup! You don't use any backups? BIG FAIL!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 7
(4,145 Views)

Yes I have back up. 

But i want to know, what we have to do,  in case,  if some one faced same problem in  future . Some BIG MINDED people like you, will be on forum. So that only i have asked here. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,140 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author azadplc007

Hi azad,

i want to know, what we have to do,  in case,  if some one faced same problem in  future .

NEVER remove the block diagram of VIs in development.

Keep a backup of your development source code. Even better: use a SCC tool of your choice!

ONLY remove block diagram when you want to send VIs to a customer (or similar person). Even better: use packed libraries (lvlibp) for this very purpose!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 7
(4,137 Views)

What Happens When I Save My VI and Remove Diagrams?

This really is a feature that needs removed from LabVIEW.  Pack Project Libraries are a direct replacement and do not have the possibility of running into this issue.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 7
(4,103 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

What Happens When I Save My VI and Remove Diagrams?

This really is a feature that needs removed from LabVIEW.  Pack Project Libraries are a direct replacement and do not have the possibility of running into this issue.

Well, not every plugin should be deployed as a PPL. I also heared requests from end-customers to receive VIs as files but the developer removes the BD to secure the IP (Intellectual Property). There are some use-cases which i find reasonable in order to keep that feature.

However, since LV 8.x no developer should run into the issue anymore by accident as it is always recommended to not created deployment builds directly into the directory of the sources (which would be the only explanation why that happened).

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,077 Views)

IIRC, there is a keystroke (or set of keystrokes) that can cause a VI to be saved without the BD.  Worse yet, you can accidentally do it when attempting to quickly hit Ctrl-S.  Sorry, I can't remember what it is, nor find any info about it.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,049 Views)