LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy old Labview version to new computer

Hi all,

I know similar things have been posted here before but I'm looking for some advice. I have an old laptop with LabView 2014 on it. I would like to transfer a copy of this version of LabView to a different PC. I can't just go and re-install LabView 2014 on the new PC because I don't have a service program so can't access the back versions of the software. I also can't just copy the files over because that doesn't seem to actually install anything on the new PC, and I get errors saying that files are corrupted when I try that (and the errors suggest to repair the installation or re-install...but nothing was actually installed when I just copied over the files). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,265 Views)

That is an interesting case, typically you would install LV on a new computer, deactivate the license on the old computer and activate it on the new computer.

As far as I know, you need the installer media, since you purchased a license for LV2014, somehow you must have got a USB stick or DVD of the installer.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,255 Views)

I think you can still hit NI up for installation media if you can prove your SSP is good for that version.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,244 Views)

Honestly I would think NI would give you at least electronic copies of the installation media or the "online installer" as long as you still have a valid serial umber for LV 2014. 

Have you tried contacting them?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,238 Views)

You need to talk with NI. If you can proof that you have a valid license from that time, they should be able to give you the installer for that version. However obviously that is not something you can rely on as part of the SSP is not only to get updates to newer versions but also the right to access previous versions of LabVIEW.

Copying a LabVIEW installation to a new computer was possible before LabVIEW 7.0 if you were careful but still a bit if a poker game if it worked. It was definitely made pretty much impossible around 7.1 when LabVIEW got license management integrated. Copying 8.0 or newer versions while maybe not entirely impossible is a frustrating exercise at best and in most cases hopeless.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,152 Views)