LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy and Paste code_LabVIEW 2017_Bug or expected behavior?

Hello

I have been seeing a very strange behavior in LabVIEW 2017, which I think is a bug. I do not remember seeing this behavior in any previous versions. 

Note

I do not yet have any patches or SP1. 

I do not have any other version of LabVIEW installed on this PC.

When I copy a part of the code using Ctl+C and then use Ctl+V keys to paste it in another subVI (of the same or different project), the code is not always pasted, depending on what other keys were pressed in between.

Works when:

Copy code from VI 1, paste code in VI 2, then save VI 1 and VI 2.

Copy code from VI 1, paste code in VI 3, then save VI 3.

Does not work when:

Copy code from VI 1, paste code in VI 2, save VI 2, then paste in VI 3. VI 3 does not get pasted with the code. I can even try Paste option from Edit menu but it does not paste. I have to copy again after every Save action.

Copy code from VI 1, save VI 1, then paste in VI 2. VI 2 does not get the code. 

Copy code from VI 1, save All in project, then paste in VI 2. VI 2 does not get the code.

Is this a bug or some new feature in LabVIEW 2017?

Can anybody else see it on their systems?

Regards

Freelance LV

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,394 Views)

Seems to keep the clipboard in 2016.  I just created a new VI, copied the front panel of another already written VI, pasted in new VI, saved VI, created another new VI, and pasted again.  All with no issues.  I will try to test 2017 later today when I am not in the middle of something.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,377 Views)

Thank you for trying it out

This issue is very specific when I use Save All function.With Save option, it is alright sometimes.

Considering that LabVIEW is crashing when using Align objects feature (I just installed the F2 patch, have to test this bug yet), I made a practice to use Save All instead of just Save.

That's when the issue with pasting is very evident.

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,366 Views)

@Freelance_LV wrote:

This issue is very specific when I use Save All function.

Well, that certainly changed things.  It appears that the Save All does indeed clear the clipboard in 2016.  I am not completely sure if this is desired or not.  Other programs often clear the clipboard after almost any action other than a paste (mostly thinking Excel).  So there is a bit of a status quo.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(2,362 Views)